Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
No, I prefer walking in the city because I feel like I am just another face in the crowd. When I am the only one on the street, I feel like everyone is staring at just me; for example, yesterday I was riding my bike, an activity I enjoy, but I live in an area that's not all that pedestrian/bike friendly and I just felt like I was out of place and that all the people in their vehicles were staring at me, if I had been in a city, I would have felt normal.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you force yourself to walk through crowded streets daily for 10 days, whilst focusing your mind as much as possible away from thoughts and symptoms, by the 10th day you'll be pretty damn comfortable about it.

The first time would be the hardest of course, but it'd soon get easier. It'd get easier because your subconscious mind would be getting enough positive experiences of crowds (no harm being caused to you is a positive experience) to cancel out the anxiety response - which was designed in the first place to protect you. So yeah, once your mind can see that it's been protecting you from nothing, the anxiety will subside with each day.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
I avoid crowds like they are the plague. I go shopping for weekly provisions early in the morning to avoid the crowds.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
I love crowded streets and places. I can blend in and disappear into the fray. It's not like I'm standing there for people to gawk at me, you'll only see me for half a second.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Mixed feelings, really. When I've been unbearably lonely for too long, I like to go for a walk in crowded places just to sort of be near others - only for a little while though, as it still makes me anxious. I'm always nervous that I'll accidentally touch someone if it's especially crowded, and I get panicky when people stand or walk behind me.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
The OP's username correlates to this frustration quite well. I'm on the same page too.

This is one of my big frustrations here, especially since I am based in NYC/Manhattan too. It doesn't help that I walk faster than 96% of people to. It's bad enough that people in front of me walk too slow. But they can't even walk in a straight line, so whenever I try to go around them, they cut me off and it's just more frustration. The worst would be if I bumped into them and they look at me like I'M the *******. At least I'm watching where the **** I'm going.

Don't even get me started on females that are remotely attractive. They pull that move where they get in front of you and then slow down, to make you look and feel like a stalker. Find better ways to flatter yourself, please.

As you could tell, I could write a whole book on these.

Walking IN FRONT of large crowds, however, I love. My chance for the world to see me :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.