Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Worst poster, hands down
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a geek. I'm into all sorts of geeky stuff, and I'm not ashamed of it. But...I can't stand other geeks. Or nerds, to be exact. People who have similar interests to mine and who are often awkward in social situations one way or another. I've found they often have a weird sense of humor and most of them are pretty ugly.

Now, it's pretty clear that I'd be much more likely to find friends, love, understanding, even fellow SAers among these people. Yet, I find myself gravitating towards people who are attractive, funny, sociable - and who have nothing in common with me. In a sense, that's only human. While I'm no longer the groveling fool that I was in high school, I'm still drawn to the alphas. But this is not the problem.

What's bothering me is the fact that I'm actually repulsed by geeks. It's not really about liking some people more than others, it's about being disgusted by a group of people. People just like me.

Just thought I'd put this out there, in case somebody can relate.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
So do you wish you weren't a nerd? Are you repulsed by the same attributes found within yourself that you find in them? Possibly the reason you dislike people with the same interests is because you don't want to admit to yourself that you're so similar to them.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
wut?

geeks/nerds or those with "geeky" interests and weird sense of humors are the best. i find them even more attractive than the opposite types.
i'd so much rather hang out with them than those who are the very social/popular with average interests types (tho obv the first part doesn't always mean they can't have geeky interests/weird sense of humors)

·
Worst poster, hands down
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So do you wish you weren't a nerd? Are you repulsed by the same attributes found within yourself that you find in them? Possibly the reason you dislike people with the same interests is because you don't want to admit to yourself that you're so similar to them.
In hindsight, that last paragraph I wrote was way too strong. Disgusted or repulsed don't really describe the feeling. Anyway, no, I don't want to change this aspect of myself. In fact I rather like being a geek. And I'm not in denial or anything. It was only recently that I even realized I have this issue, so it's a bit difficult to put it to words. It's not really the geeky interests themselves that turn me off, because a good friend of mine is as a much a geek as I am and we get along just fine. I suppose it's more about character and the assumptions I make regarding people's characters based on various factors.

nothing to fear - I totally agree with you, geeks are great. It's just that it takes a long time for me to get in tune with others, and with these people I never give myself the chance. With sociable people the process is faster and they do some of the work for you. I could be trying to avoid being the dominant side.

·
wtf
419 Posts
Hey, at least you're honest. Yeah, maybe you're avoiding being dominant. Or, maybe you know that becoming friends with other geeks will turn off "alpha" people from wanting to be your friend- you know, peer pressure.

·
Worst poster, hands down
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ maybe you're right, associating with these people might exclude me from the social circle where I've always been and where I can blend into the background. Being around quirky, socially awkward people is perhaps even more difficult for me, because it requires social skills on my part to keep things going and doesn't allow me to fall back on the old habit of letting loud people do the talking. Building rapport with nerds can be such a hassle, so I've gotten used to just avoiding them. I should try to see the rewards of doing the opposite.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
"all the other girls were wearing makeup in 4th grade, but I was not allowed, I wore anklets and prayed..Nerds, I'm so glad I am one.."

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm a geek. I'm into all sorts of geeky stuff, and I'm not ashamed of it. But...I can't stand other geeks. Or nerds, to be exact. People who have similar interests to mine and who are often awkward in social situations one way or another. I've found they often have a weird sense of humor and most of them are pretty ugly.

Now, it's pretty clear that I'd be much more likely to find friends, love, understanding, even fellow SAers among these people. Yet, I find myself gravitating towards people who are attractive, funny, sociable - and who have nothing in common with me. In a sense, that's only human. While I'm no longer the groveling fool that I was in high school, I'm still drawn to the alphas. But this is not the problem.

What's bothering me is the fact that I'm actually repulsed by geeks. It's not really about liking some people more than others, it's about being disgusted by a group of people. People just like me.

Just thought I'd put this out there, in case somebody can relate.
I know exactly what you mean, i was the same in high school. But after some thought, the problem i had was not in the label. No, i didnt want to be called a geek at the time because of the negative connotations, but looking at it now it was the people. I was a 'nerd', but not a stereotypical one. I was good at, and enjoyed sports. I liked a lot of mainstream stuff. My humor is mostly normal, tho it does tend to wander to obscurity.

also, i really had nothing in common with the geeks in my school. I thought magic the gathering was retarded, they liked it. I liked fps' and action games, they liked rts and rpg. They hated consoles and only gamed on computer. I played both, but prefered consoles. I dressed normal, they dressed....weird.
They wanted to be nerds, id rather just toss the label aside. And i definately agree on their humor, its just odd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts