Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a shrink I know says we should avoid taking large numbers of different anxiety meds together as theres a high risk of them fighting eachother inside us and causing more problems

an example of what can happen is an anxiety sufferer with panic attacks who was taking 80 tablets a day, some were to counter the side effects of others and a 3rd lot were to counter the side effects again

206 Posts
K, but there's no way I'm taking 80 pills a day. Right now I'm at 2 meds, five pills a day. I'm not worried at all.

·
Registered
440 Posts
arth67 should be our new resident scientist.

In all seriousness though, good point. Everything in moderation. To better help you guys, and add an adjunct to arth67's post, here are some do's and dont's i compiled:

DON'T take 30 mg Xanax and down with Vodka.
DO, however, drop those pills into a tiny bag and give to your nearest celebrity.

DON'T snort Ritalin.
DO, however, take that crushed up Ritalin and give it to your little brother and see how many laps around your house he does.

DON'T take 80 tablets a day
DO give those tablets to charity, there are people in India who need crazy meds, too!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
arth67 should be our new resident scientist.

In all seriousness though, good point. Everything in moderation. To better help you guys, and add an adjunct to arth67's post, here are some do's and dont's i compiled:

DON'T take 30 mg Xanax and down with Vodka.
DO, however, drop those pills into a tiny bag and give to your nearest celebrity.

DON'T snort Ritalin.
DO, however, take that crushed up Ritalin and give it to your little brother and see how many laps around your house he does.

DON'T take 80 tablets a day
DO give those tablets to charity, there are people in India who need crazy meds, too!
YOU should be our new resident scientist! Your tips are more specific. ;)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
One thing to watch for when taking polypharmacy is cytochrome P450 liver enzyme interactions.
Some drugs can act as specific CYP Enzyme inhibitors or inducers, which can lead to complications such as a buildup of drug levels due to inhibition of clearance, or reduction of drug levels due to induction of clearance, if the second drug is metabolized via the same metabolic pathway.

See TABLE 7.8, and TABLE 7.9 for more details

http://www.preskorn.com/books/ssri_s7.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts