873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the Assassination of Richard Nixon.

I do find Sean very talented, though.

Star

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
Yeah, I thought he was lousy in that movie. He played the character as if he was semi-retarded, which didn't make any sence whatsoever. That could have been a good movie if somebody else played the lead.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He played the character as if he was semi-retarded
Well, he was a Viet Nam vet who lost a leg and came home from the war and his wife and family weren't supportive and she separated from him--taking his beloved children and golden retriever away from him--barely letting him see them.

I was once married to a Viet Nam vet and I can attest to the fact that they had (and still do have) some major issues.

I think his behavior was right on for that character.

All of this IMHO, of course.

Star

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
I agree... Sean Penn's a good actor. I didn't buy his portrayal of Samuel Bicke, though. I've heard people compare it to Robert Deniro's Travis Bickel in "Taxi Driver". He reminded me more of the character he played in "I am Sam". Hollywood just has so much money tied up in these films that they're afraid to go with any new talent. To me, there's almost always some flaw in Sean Penn's performances in pretty much all his movies that makes me remember that it's just an actor up there. Dustin Hoffman is another one like that. The thing I like about Robert Deniro is it seems like you're watching a real person up on the screen, not an actor.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I love Sean Penn has an actor, Mystic River is one of my favorite movies. The problem is he always struck me as a real pretentious know-it-all in real life. Maybe it's just me.

:stu

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing I like about Robert Deniro is it seems like you're watching a real person up on the screen, not an actor.
Deniro is one of my favorite actors. What talent! :agree :banana

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
weight of water wasnt to bad.
Don't recall this one. :stu

Fast Times at Ridgemont High will always be one of my favs. :lol :b

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sean Penn kicks butt. He also wins the award for having the most progressive acting career (started with fast times, and now he's doing stuff like 21 grams. That's a huge step up).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
rb27 said:
I love Sean Penn has an actor, Mystic River is one of my favorite movies. The problem is he always struck me as a real pretentious know-it-all in real life. Maybe it's just me.

:stu
Mystic River was a good movie, however, I hated his character at the end. He really ticked me off.

·
Registered
538 Posts
rb27 said:
The problem is he always struck me as a real pretentious know-it-all in real life. Maybe it's just me.:stu
:agree Did you see him at the Oscars this year, can't the guy take a joke I mean he's JUST an actor after all. I can't watch any of his movies without thinking of "fast times at ridgemont high" (i think thats the one) and then I just can't take him seriously. I think sean penn is over rated any way. IMO the best actor alive is Anthony Hopkins.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've always liked him, and appreciated him in Mystic River (although... I appreciate that the movie was well done, but it's just not my cup of tea), and thought he was surprisingly good in The Interpreter, and I really liked his sticking up for Jude Law bit at the Oscars last year (honestly).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Mystic River is one of the best most recent movies... I thought he did a really good job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts