Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I think it's natural and normal to have some sort of identity crisis. I never could stand people who knew exactly what they wanted to be even from childhood and had their whole life mapped out ahead of them. I know it's not that reassuring but having uncertainty like this suggests you're more open minded (really). After all, how can someone who knew from age five that they always wanted to be a doctor or a cop say they've looked at all the options the world has to offer? And it's a very big world out there.

I'm in my mid thirties now and most people who know me in real life would say I appear to have a clear sense of identity. In reality, I've always been very conflicted about who I am and what direction I should move towards. However, I've come to accept this uncertainty as normal and not harmful as long as you just KEEP DOING SOMETHING.

By that I mean if you aren't sure if you should major in bio or history, just pick a major... you can always change it later. If you don't know if you should pursue football or basketball, just pick one for now. Liberal or conservative?... just pick a group. Flip a coin if you have to. But the experience of doing something will bring you closer to finding out what exactly is best for you.

Uncertainty about your identity is only really harmful if it leads to inaction. I say this as someone who kept changing my mind and doing this and that in the past. Looking back on all of it, I can say that all those decisions I made which I was unsure about worked out fine in the long run... it was only the times where I got stuck and did nothing that I truly felt I lost something.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts