Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not entirely sure what to say. I've been dealing with SA for... forever. Used to chalk it up to just being super shy and kindda put it at the back of my mind for years. Well recently it's been brought up just how bad it is. I'll save that for another thread though. :) But I've been doing a lot of reading about it and feeling a little lonely about it. No one around me gets it. They all tell me I "just" need to get out and meet people and blah blah blah. So I decided to come find some people who actually understand what I have to deal with and can support me and help me out. I feel myself slipping into a really bad place and I need to get some advice, but I'm not at all comfortable telling anyone around me. Even hiding behind a computer trying to tell people things is a challenge. I'm trying to find a therapist near me so I can hopefully get some control over this, I'm so sick of it.

·
GaySilentPsycho
16 Posts
Not entirely sure what to say. I've been dealing with SA for... forever. Used to chalk it up to just being super shy and kindda put it at the back of my mind for years. Well recently it's been brought up just how bad it is. I'll save that for another thread though. :) But I've been doing a lot of reading about it and feeling a little lonely about it. No one around me gets it. They all tell me I "just" need to get out and meet people and blah blah blah. So I decided to come find some people who actually understand what I have to deal with and can support me and help me out. I feel myself slipping into a really bad place and I need to get some advice, but I'm not at all comfortable telling anyone around me. Even hiding behind a computer trying to tell people things is a challenge. I'm trying to find a therapist near me so I can hopefully get some control over this, I'm so sick of it.
I know exactly how you feel! Forcing yourself to be social is definitely not the answer, and in my experiences, it never turns out to well...:roll I hope you find a good therapist! A lot of therapist freaking suck! I don't know how they got their degrees! Out of a cereal box maybe? lol :teeth

·
Registered
132 Posts
Start asking around, Phoenix. Ask about therapists in the area, see who people go to about this sort of thing. If money is an issue, there is usually some type of program you can get into to help you afford it. They usually make you see a doc and a therapist.

Watch out, though. Sometimes you walk in and tell them something is wrong, and all they want to do is give you pills and send you on your way. I learned the hard way: if a doctor has been talking to you for less than 5 minutes, he probably doesn't know enough about you to prescribe you to a chemical designed to fix (alter) your brain chemistry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Pheonixrising :)

I found this shirt at Zazzle that describes how I feel most of the time lol.
http://www.zazzle.com/no_opinions_nothing_to_say_un_t_shirt-235350553267411345
(I don't think this is really something I would wear in public, though)
Is this how you feel too? Although, I think that most people with social anxiety are nervous, but not necessarily "Empty-headed". Or maybe they are. Am I alone on this?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you GSP! People just don't get it, and it's really frustrating to me. I've tried, and it just makes me close up even more. Especially if someone starts to notice. And then I get picked on. UGH!

Fox, thanks for the advice. I'll watch out for that. When I initially started looking I was really hoping I wouldn't need any meds (the thought kindda scares me to be honest), but I'm beginning to think that's not gonna be an option.

Hello HelloMyKitty! :D That shirt is perfect! I'm almost tempted to buy it. lol I feel like that on occasion. I sometimes honestly have nothing in my head. Or maybe I do, but it's just crammed so far beneath that wall in my head that it feels empty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hehe, maybe more people feel this way than I thought.

I've found that Q-cards work really well, especially in hs because most of the people there tend to like the same things. Everyone thought I was really social, but I don't think anyone noticed that sometimes I will say the same thing twice ahah. But I am still often dumbfounded in conversations because you can't possibly prepare for everything, unfortunately. ):

Maybe that isn't the best solution lol.

·
GaySilentPsycho
16 Posts
Start asking around, Phoenix. Ask about therapists in the area, see who people go to about this sort of thing. If money is an issue, there is usually some type of program you can get into to help you afford it. They usually make you see a doc and a therapist.

Watch out, though. Sometimes you walk in and tell them something is wrong, and all they want to do is give you pills and send you on your way. I learned the hard way: if a doctor has been talking to you for less than 5 minutes, he probably doesn't know enough about you to prescribe you to a chemical designed to fix (alter) your brain chemistry.
To give a person meds asap is actually proper protocal for psychiatrist... It's stupid, but that'sthe way they're taught...

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, PhoenixRising! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey pheonixrising welcome. :hyper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts