Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck at a crossroads here. My doctor has given me an ultimatium - work or school. And I want to do something with my life, I hate just sitting in front of the computer, but I also hate the panic attacks. I'm just not sure which thing I should pursue right now.

Pros:

School - Get to be around people, make new friends. You don't have to socialize if you don't want to, you can keep to yourself. You can use the excuse of studying as a reason not to go to parties or social events.

Work - You make money. You're there everyday, so anxiety issues might go down. You won't be considered an outcast if you don't fit in, because you're just there to make money anyways.

Cons:

School - Lots of people. You have to sit behind a desk for an hour, while surrounded by people. If you don't fit in, people might laugh and/or make fun of you (I've had it happen before.)

Work - With the current economy, it probably won't be easy to get a job, and it'll be easy to lose any job you get, especially with daily panic attacks.

What to do? :um

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well in the end it's up to you. Work if you don't enjoy it can be awful, but it is usually preferable in some ways to sitting around doing nothing. Do you live at home still? I would recommend school if you think you can stick out a degree, but choose something you are really interested in, not just a 'good career choice'. I've dropped out of school twice and worked lots of menial jobs I hate and it sucks, for me it's a boring, lonely grind every week with no end in sight. But I hated university too, as I was socially isolated and working too much to keep up my consumer lifestlye, which is really the source of most of our problems. Long story short, it's your thoughts and beliefs that make all the difference.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
Well you said you want to do something with your life so what do you think will get you farther? If you can get a nice job then I would go for that, but if you're going to end up with some crappy one, then I would go to school, which may help you get a better job in the long run.

·
:/
957 Posts
So your anxiety/depression is more manageable now and you think you are ready for either school or work? For me, I could barely go to a drug store without really having to force myself to do it so going to college was very difficult. I felt sick all the time when I was out, and too exhausted to study when I was at home. I also had difficulty concentrating and even getting things done around the house. I'm not trying to discourage you, just making sure you are ready for that step. I guess you could always start off with 1-2 classes.

If you are more interested in working, you might want to try some volunteer work to start out with to gain some confidence. There will be less pressure to perform than a paid job and you don't have to work as many hours.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Why doesn't your doctor think you can do both? I would say go to school if it's important to you, unless SA affects your grades. School may be more challenging socially, but we need to challenge ourselves as much as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts