Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of my life I have been taught to believe in God andj the Christian life, etc. but I don't know.. I just don't feel it. The happiness, strength, knowledge that I'll be going to heaven because I'm "good" and all that... I just don't feel it. It's like the only reason I even consider myself a christian anymore, and don't just look for something else, is because of that fear that -maybe- it is true, and -maybe- I'd go to hell or the rapture and all if I don't follow it. But to me, that's all it is... fear that I'll have to spend eternity being tortured... not happiness that I have that faith and stuff. and that just doesn't work for me.

·
kept in His hands
1,334 Posts
I've heard alot of Christians say that because they've grown up in a religious home and have always gone to church that they aren't sure what they really truely believe versus what they've just been told to believe all those years. Maybe you could start from square one and forget all the religious stuff associated with Christianity and just have some heart to heart talks with God. Ask Him to reveal Himself to you in ways, like other people, situations and circumstances, that you would know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's truely Him and that you are on the right track spiritually.

As Christians, we aren't saved because of anything we do or by being "good" enough, we are saved because of what Jesus did for us. And it's not only about what we are saved 'from' but also what we were saved 'for' that plays a big part in our faith. Yes, we have eternal security but what does He want you to do with your life here and now? He's created us all with a purpose for our lives. Maybe you could spend some time talking to God and ask Him to show you what His purpose is for you.

Alot of times, I don't 'feel God. I think my SA is a big reason why. I spend so much time worrying and ruminating over things that it leaves little time for feeling anything but fear and anxiety. But as I grow more spiritually, I am gaining the knowledge of who I am in Christ and that does give me a sense of peace, whether I feel it all the time or not.

Hope that helps,

Karen :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pray, and I ask God to speak to me, but as far as I know I don't ever get a response. it's always just that fear that if I don't "believe" in it, then I'll be screwed for eternity, you know?

·
Registered
254 Posts
:agree with trueseeker

Hi Saeb..
I have only learned about Jesus about 3 years ago,
I can honestly say I understand what your saying,
I am still struggling with this *feeling* thing..

I am beginning to understand thats its not about feeling..
for me right now, its about Faith, and Gods Grace and Mercy..

I have been struggling so much latley with the way I am..
its been really hard to have faith in something you cannot feel...but I am also beginning to see Him working in my life...with me..it has been no move mountain type of signs..or answers..they have all been small, yet
always showing me He is there...
I think its the way , and how we look at things, for myself anyways..I do Not believe in Coincedances..I think there all little act of God...,

And one thing I have seen latley is how God uses other people in our lives
to help us...
an example it just happened to me yesterday was,

I was having a Bad day, I was so stressed out over my finances and everything, and I needed money to buy my daughter shoes and a music stand for her concert this Saturday,,I am like so broke..and been depressed , I could go on..
but the thing is, I cried, I mean cried out to God, and wrote to him in my Journal..like a little child....
But do you know, I got on line and started chatting to a friend...
and through the conversation she got out of me my deliama..
and told me she wanted to give my girls some money, as her way of tithing..she thus decided to give me the money tonight, so I can go and get the music stand...because God has Placed this thought on her heart
before I even talked to her...to me thats God working and answering prayers....

well I rambled on..I hope I helped a bit...

God Bless
debs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Saeb,

I can really identify with what you are saying. I went through the same thing a while back. But dont let your confusion over Christanity extinguish your faith in God. This happened to me, but thankfully I am over that now. Just pray to God for guidance and He will give it to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's the thing.. I hear about God all the time, and how people just 'know' when he's working in their life. I've never felt that, nor have I ever experienced God, that I can remember. It's kind of hard to pray about something that I've never known in the first place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have this problem as well. My parents are VERY religous (can you be too religous?). Anyway, my parents made me go to church as a child, and I think that is what turned me off. I was going out of fear of my parents (well, not really fear but i didnt want to be punished).

Now, as an adult I feel as though if I dont pray, go to church, talk to others about God 24/7, im going to "the bad place" when I die. So I do make (rare) attempts to go to church , but i feel like its out of fear of being punished later.

I do believe there is a God. But i have very mixed feelings about Him. I never got into church, singing about God, watching people preach about God on TV, or even talking about God. I feel very uncomfortable when people get preachy and start talking to me about the Bible.

What is wrong with me?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saeb said:
All of my life I have been taught to believe in God andj the Christian life, etc. but I don't know.. I just don't feel it. The happiness, strength, knowledge that I'll be going to heaven because I'm "good" and all that... I just don't feel it. It's like the only reason I even consider myself a christian anymore, and don't just look for something else, is because of that fear that -maybe- it is true, and -maybe- I'd go to hell or the rapture and all if I don't follow it. But to me, that's all it is... fear that I'll have to spend eternity being tortured... not happiness that I have that faith and stuff. and that just doesn't work for me.
Saeb, let me tell you, the Christian God is not emotion. Emotions are sometimes misleading and many people feel the exact same way as you. Fear of God may be a way to go for a little while but you have to realize the God is also a friend. Doubt is very good for faith, believe it or not. Everyone goes through times like these, and they just end up making you stronger in the faith. Ask people to pray for you and make sure you keep praying. I'll pray for ya.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Phantastic said:
I have this problem as well. My parents are VERY religous (can you be too religous?). Anyway, my parents made me go to church as a child, and I think that is what turned me off. I was going out of fear of my parents (well, not really fear but i didnt want to be punished).
Same thing happened to me. Soured me on church-going. Thanks mom and dad!

What is wrong with me?
Nothing. You all sound pretty normal to me, maybe just more honest than most folks. (Emperor's New Clothes reference goes here.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I grew up being catholic and my whole life I knew I wasn't feeling it. I thought I could be a christian of some sort but I'm not sure about that either cause I don't know if I believe in it as well. I kinda felt the same way as you when a couple of years ago. I guess I have the rest of my life to figure out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.