Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone else have problems walking in public. like i don't really know how to descibe it other then i get really self-conscience. I don't know how much to swing my arms or how far apart my strides should be. I also don't know where to look if that makes sense. its just not very natural to me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think everyone has that problem when they try to think about it. The less I think about my walk, the more comfortable it feels (and looks). When I can't stop thinking about it, I look for distractions.. I'll pull out my phone and text while I walk or something.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I feel awkward climbing stairs in public. Normal walking doesn't bother me that much. I'm more self-conscience about what to do with my hands and about my posture while sitting around people.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
My problem is I don't always know where to look without staring at people or looking at the floor.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My problem is I don't always know where to look without staring at people or looking at the floor.
ya its like i either look them in the eyes for too long or i look away for too long. i can't figure out how to balance eye contact and looking away. Usually it comes across to the other person that im judging them when its just the opposite.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Sun glasses seem to make me less nervous. The other person has a hard time knowing which way you are looking. Too bad you can't wear them in all situations

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes!I know!When I go grocery shopping.I always have to be arm in arm with my boyfriend to feel more comfortable,but if I am walking on my own it just feels so weird.It probobly looks wierd too.I can't make eye contact with people at the store too or I will have a panic attack

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sun glasses seem to make me less nervous. The other person has a hard time knowing which way you are looking. Too bad you can't wear them in all situations
hey who says you can't wear them in all situations? I think everyone with SA should be wearing sunglasses when they are out and about. Its kinda like wearing a mask, which is why i want to be a mascot when i get alittle older.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Wearing shades makes me feel less intimidated and much more outspoken. I remember there were some kids doing something wrong across from where I live and I told them to stop. I had surprised myself. But I was wearing glasses. I had no inhibitions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think everyone has that problem when they try to think about it. The less I think about my walk, the more comfortable it feels (and looks). When I can't stop thinking about it, I look for distractions.. I'll pull out my phone and text while I walk or something.
I always feel like I walk awkwardly and that eeeveryone is staring at me because of it.
I usually pretend I'm talking on my phone. Or I dig in my purse or something that makes me look like a normal human being...just doing my day-to-day thing. I don't know what makes me think looking busy makes me less noticeable, but I always do.
And if I'm pretending to talk on the phone, it's always a really busy conversation. "WHAT?" "Yeah I have blah and blah and blah to do today, but I'll try."

Bahhh. :eek:ops

·
Registered
87 Posts
I always feel like I walk awkwardly and that eeeveryone is staring at me because of it.
I usually pretend I'm talking on my phone. Or I dig in my purse or something that makes me look like a normal human being...just doing my day-to-day thing. I don't know what makes me think looking busy makes me less noticeable, but I always do.
And if I'm pretending to talk on the phone, it's always a really busy conversation. "WHAT?" "Yeah I have blah and blah and blah to do today, but I'll try."

Bahhh. :eek:ops
:p That's really funny to me.. I wonder how many people pretend to talk on their phones? Lol.. Yeah, I'm sure you do just blend in and look normal, though.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I thought it was just me! To make it worse, I am also bowlegged and it is VERY noticeable. I have a long gooseneck which makes me feel like my head is a mile above my shoulders. One of my legs is slightly longer than the other too, so it looks like I'm limping.

Sometimes I have to choreograph my walk in my head or listen to my headphones to get some type of normal rhythm going.

·
Registered
896 Posts
yep

yeppers, sometimes i do, like in public i feel like people are staring at me but they're really not....or are they?

Well it's not something you should worry about much, and personally i haven't walked around my neighborhood in 5 years, due to SA and paranoia. But i can go out like when i'm driving.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've found that going on hikes with a hiking club helps me get over this. At the beginning of the hike I'm self conscious but by the end I'm so tired that I don't really care. Then when I have to go to the store, etc the next day, walking that small distance is no big deal.

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,430 Posts
ew. I hate walking in public esp. when I'm in the middle of nowhere i.e. the suburbs. I always think that people in cars are looking at me as they drive past and all I want to do is hang my head down and hide. It's a terrible feeling.

·
Registered
428 Posts
does anyone else have problems walking in public. like i don't really know how to descibe it other then i get really self-conscience. I don't know how much to swing my arms or how far apart my strides should be. I also don't know where to look if that makes sense. its just not very natural to me.
I do when I'm walking alone. It's extreme self-consciousness I guess. I feel sort of like my legs aren't connected to my body. It really gets bad crossing in front of cars at an intersection. I hate it.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
What usually works for me is when someone is walking towards you; wait until they are within ten feet or less and then give a quick glance or don't even look at them. If you want you can say a quick hi if they acknowledge you when you glance at them, but you don't have to.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know if it's significant.. but when I'm not feeling socially anxious, I typically smile at someone until they look at me, then I wave and/or say hi. If they avoid looking back, then I just keep smiling and completely forget that I was hoping they would look at me and go on with my walk.

When I analyze things too much, in my mind, I think to myself: "If I let it get to me that they didn't want to look at me, then I confirm their social dominance -- and my thoughts become my actions, so I want to avoid that. I know I'm cool and attractive and I don't need them to confirm that for me, thus I maintain my own dominance (and self-esteem) by forgetting that I even tried to get their attention -- again, thoughts become actions." It all works out for me, but that only lasts as long as I'm in a good mood. Also, that mindset is completely influenced by reading The Mystery Method.

Of course, none of that takes into account that maybe the people I think are looking down on me are actually themselves feeling socially anxious about MY superiority. But who cares about them? I'm trying to help ME.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
My right arm swings more than my left arm and if I don't find something to do with one arm I end up with my attention focused on trying to even out the swing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts