Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a weird topic! This is an issue for me, because I am in the process of getting tested. If everything matches, I am planning to donate a kidney to my Mom (who is on dialysis). My main concern is the screening for the kidney donor. One of the requirements is that the donor be free of mental illness. Would OCD and SAD (which has dramatically improved) actually preclude me from being a kidney donor? Do you think that this is a situation where it is okay to lie, or should I just be upfront about it? I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because even though I have an anxiety disorder, I don't really think of myself as mentally ill. I'm assuming that their psychologist will be able to tell that I have sufficient mental capacity to make the right decision.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
As long as the potential donor's decision making process is not being affected by a mental illness/disorder why should they care?

·
(.*?)
6,615 Posts
They must mean judgment-impairing mental illness. You could go ahead and be up front about it so they realize they might want to be more specific in their guidelines to avoid discouraging people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts