Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have serious problems when I speak in front of an audience, for instance, when making presentations or speeches. I experience so much anxiety that I can barely speak. I feel like I am almost choking as I utter each word. And I have difficulty breathing as I speak. I am almost hyperventilating. And my voice would be shaking very badly.

It is such a bad experience that it gives me sleepless nights before any such events. And then after the event, I feel so ashamed of my performance.

Taking benzos sometimes help me relax - less than half of the time. Most of the time I am so anxious and nervous that the benzos have no effect at all. If I increase the dosage, I feel "slower", like I am drunk or something, such that I slur my words.

At this stage, I feel helpless and very frustrated.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any technique, exercise, or strategy that has worked for you? Or any medication?

Would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
I think just about everybody gets a little nervous about presentations. The one thing that helped me: Picturing the audience naked. Seriously. I can't quite explain this, but it made me laugh enough to stay verbal, at least.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah i hate doing those things with a passion. My last job expected me to do ths so i just had to leave. Stress levels would rise weeks in advance leading up to them. So much so i had difficulty sleeping. It was always on my mind.

I don't think some people realize how difficult it is for some people to do these things. Towards the end of my job i had to give a presentation in front of 100's of people. I just made sure i was well prepared and looked forward to the end of it. But i also recognized that i was sucking it up and doing it. I could have easily left as they didn't know i had a job lined up and i was ready to leave. After doing it i felt a different person and glad i did it. But i sure don't want to make a career out of it.

I had my stumbling points through it, but i was just so relieved to get through it. Just keep thinking in a hour leading up to it, that you will be done no matter how bad you think it might go.

The day before i listened to music and locked myself in a room and prepared. Pat yourself on the back for trying and getting through it. Not much in excercises could relax me.

Good luck and treat yourself to something special afterwards.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts