Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,912 Posts
Dogs are for extroverts, right? And cats are for introverts.
Not necessarily. Although most big dogs probably literally need to be walked for health reasons, most dogs can be trained to go out back and do their business quick and come back in. That was how we did with my first dog. We had glass doors and she had a long leash just in case anyone came by or so she wouldn't run off. She'd usually run out there and sniff around for 2-3 minutes, do her thing and come right back in.

Cats are just easier though. Although they do seem to get up on desks and shelves and knock things over. I'd have to totally retrain myself to have a cat the way things are in my room.

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
Not necessarily. Although most big dogs probably literally need to be walked for health reasons, most dogs can be trained to go out back and do their business quick and come back in. That was how we did with my first dog. We had glass doors and she had a long leash just in case anyone came by or so she wouldn't run off. She'd usually run out there and sniff around for 2-3 minutes, do her thing and come right back in.

Cats are just easier though. Although they do seem to get up on desks and shelves and knock things over. I'd have to totally retrain myself to have a cat the way things are in my room.
They do jump on everything but once they are full grown don't knock things down much. Cats don't like loud noises, so they get freaked out when that happens and avoid it. Not a good idea to have lots of glass figurines on your shelves though.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Dogs are for extroverts, right? And cats are for introverts.
WillYouStopDave covered most of it. Just about all our dogs were trained to go into the backyard on their own to do their business. Our current dog Ash goes out without a leash and there is no fence either. She is around 10 years old and has never run away. Our neighbor's dogs on the other hand need an invisible fence and collars to keep them in their yards. Also we choose to walk Ash mostly on nature trails that regularly don't have many people. Not sure if things like dog parks would be more beneficial though.

But yeah I could see how cats would be easier for introverts

·
Super Moderator
34,912 Posts
Is it neglect if you don't walk your dog every day?
Posted via Mobile Device
Kind of if it's a big dog. Big dogs can't run that much inside so they never get much exercise. Little dogs scurry all over the place. Both of my dogs would run inside until they wore themselves out. Especially if you played fetch with them or let them chase you.

·
Super Moderator
8,735 Posts
WillYouStopDave covered most of it. Just about all our dogs were trained to go into the backyard on their own to do their business. Our current dog Ash goes out without a leash and there is no fence either. She is around 10 years old and has never run away. Our neighbor's dogs on the other hand need an invisible fence and collars to keep them in their yards. Also we choose to walk Ash mostly on nature trails that regularly don't have many people. Not sure if things like dog parks would be more beneficial though.

But yeah I could see how cats would be easier for introverts
Yeah, with a backyard, most dogs will figure it out eventually to just go there. Worse is if the dog grow up in a place with a backyard, and then have to move into a home like an apartment or condo without a backyard. Then once you've trained the dog to go outside being accompanied, you move back into a place with a backyard. It confuses the heck out of the dog.

The dog park will depend on how social is the dog. Puppies and younger dogs, it helps to get them use to the dog park to socialize them. If the dog is older and have proven to not be a well social dog, then it's indeed better to take them for walks, especially places without much people or other dogs as you said.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Yeah, with a backyard, most dogs will figure it out eventually to just go there. Worse is if the dog grow up in a place with a backyard, and then have to move into a home like an apartment or condo without a backyard. Then once you've trained the dog to go outside being accompanied, you move back into a place with a backyard. It confuses the heck out of the dog.

The dog park will depend on how social is the dog. Puppies and younger dogs, it helps to get them use to the dog park to socialize them. If the dog is older and have proven to not be a well social dog, then it's indeed better to take them for walks, especially places without much people or other dogs as you said.
Yeah she is probably too old to start going to dog parks. She barks and whines a lot at other dogs, but when she has contact with them she has never bit and usually does the whole sniff thing. Could see other dogs thinking she is aggressive from a distance though.

One day we were in the woods and thought we were alone, so my dad wasn't holding her leash like usual. Some people with a big pit bull appeared and she charged at their dog barking before we could do anything. Luckily, their dog was better behaved and nothing came of it.

My dad refuses to hold her leash unless he actually sees other people/dogs. She got lucky that the pit bull was well trained. I probably should step up more if he isn't going to do it. She doesn't behave well on a leash with me, but that's because she has more experience walking with my dad.

She doesn't charge at the neighbor's dogs. She just barks back at them while staying in her yard. The one time they met up close I think she was nervous and trying to hide behind my dad. Apparently golden retrievers are more scary to her than random pit bulls lol

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
She doesn't charge at the neighbor's dogs. She just barks back at them while staying in her yard. The one time they met up close I think she was nervous and trying to hide behind my dad. Apparently golden retrievers are more scary to her than random pit bulls lol
She must mistake golden retrievers for lions

·
Banned
7,340 Posts
Sadly I don't have any pics, but a few years ago there was a guy who would walk down the street in front of my house with a pit bull and no leash. It always bothered me since you never know what they could do if they are threatened. Well, my labs had a way of digging under the fence and going for a run around town, so one day I was getting the yellow one to come back inside for food and we both saw the guy and his pit walking toward us. I was kind of drunk and my lab kept looking at me like he wanted permission for something. Finally I said "ok" just to see what he would do. As soon as the words came out he took off like a lightning bolt toward the pit. I got pretty nervous that he would attack it and get injured or something, but all he did was get up close and bark at it really hard. The pit was so nervous it pretended to ignore him and accidentally walked into a tree. Was pretty funny.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts