Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may apply more to women- Today I was out in the heat and humidity a lot(I live in Florida).- I had lots of chores-washing the dog,cleaning etc. I realized late tonight I really needed to go to the store.- I looked a mess,but the store was closing soon so I went anyway.- I felt so embarassed,so less than everyone there.- I kept my eyes on the floor,felt I could'nt stand to look directly at anyone.- Felt like I should almost run through the store so no one would have to look at me. How pathetic is that?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Im the same way. If I think that I look good I feel confident in public and if I feel like I look gross I feel so self conscious. I wish my looks didnt have such an impact on how i feel.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am exactly the same way. Right now I am dealing with the issue of an extra 10 pounds (which I gained because I don't want to leave the house!) and that makes me not want to go out near anyone- especially because it is summer and I can't hide under clothes like I would the rest of the year...

I think my issues with my looks is the reason for me SA. In fact, I am starting to wonder if I have body dysmorphic disorder which is causing the SA and depression and not the other way around.

·
Registered
928 Posts
That is why I cannot be seen by anyone without make up on and my hair straightened. For some reason I feel 'okay' if Im grocery shopping with my partner. I guess I think people will just think 'oh she has someone that loves her, its okay if shes ugly'.

When Im in a hurry and dont have time to make myself feel good about my appearance, I dread going out into the world.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I get that way when I start to sweat. I'm afraid that it's going to be seen on my shirt and people will notice.

·
Banned
728 Posts
If i have to go somewhere busy, i panic, and my confidence is automatically destoyed. I feel like i shouldn't be there, and am a lesser person. This includes the way i feel about how i look.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
If I don't think I look good, yes, my anxiety can get worse.
I'll feel like people notice I don't look good and that makes me anxious.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I had to go to court a few months ago I dressed up. I had on a nice dressy top and pants with nice shoes. I felt more confident about myself. I guess it was the fact that I actually put some thought and effort into what I was wearing that made me feel good. Most days, I dress somewhere between comfortable casual and homeless. When I'm really looking "bummy" I guess I do tend to have more anxiety and i'm more self conscious.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
I always think I look bad, and I'm sure that affects my confidence. If I could fix a few things that alone might halve my social anxiety and weirdness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts