Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Live. Laugh. Learn
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do your parents nag you about marriage and family life?

My mom's been letting me to grow up, get marry and start a family the past year or two now. Today I told her I don't plan on getting married or having children. Her response was "most people around the world have children" as if I'm not normal or something.

I can't really tell her she's wrong though since I f--ked my life so many times already. I did told her she was stupid for thinking I could raise a family on a 20K annual income. I kinda shut her up with that.

We fight a lot, even to this day. She's an old school Asian mom. I'm very Westernized and don't have the family values that most Asians have(or supposed to have). We care for one another but our beliefs and views on lifestyle is so far apart.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
You are wise for taking your time. Save up and join us in the martini lounge in 30 years (if some of us can make it that long).

My mom stopped bugging me about marriage about 3 years ago when my dad died. They fought the whole time he while was alive. Whenever she asks me about marriage, I remind her how much she and my dad hated each other, and how much of a drag it was for me.

·
Walking in the light
3,662 Posts
Mom did, she only wants (ed) be to be happy. She knows I prefer to be alone. What bugs me now, she expects me to be alone, the cause of this mind......Rather she doesn't believe I'll ever have anyone in my life again.

I try to convey to her, I like my life the way it is RIGHT NOW, that doesn't mean down the road it won't change.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well im 43 not married and dont want to have chilldren and am asian. There are women out there who arnt married or dont have children for whatever reason,even tho there in the minority. I wonder if you still live at home wiv your mum! Maybe you could tell her in the future u coulld change your mind. I live wiv my dad and guess im lucky not to be forced into marriage. I know if my mum was still here it would be a different story. I would hate to get married and face all those people as have extreme social anxiety!

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
My mom's been letting me to grow up, get marry and start a family the past year or two now. Today I told her I don't plan on getting married or having children. Her response was "most people around the world have children" as if I'm not normal or something.

I can't really tell her she's wrong though since I f--ked my life so many times already. I did told her she was stupid for thinking I could raise a family on a 20K annual income. I kinda shut her up with that.

We fight a lot, even to this day. She's an old school Asian mom. I'm very Westernized and don't have the family values that most Asians have(or supposed to have). We care for one another but our beliefs and views on lifestyle is so far apart.
Same ole bulls*it, I go through every single day.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
I feel badly for those whose parents still put them under this pressure when they're in their 30s. My parents basically gave up on me when I graduated college without a girlfriend, since they figured I'd definitely find a wife there.

I didn't tell them I'm considering a vasectomy so I can have sex without a condom when I settle down :um I'm not gonna tell them that :no.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts