Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my beliefs and doubts on this one wanted to get others peoples opinions and see what others type.. if you do believe love exists how do you know? do you think it eventually dies down? and is it possible to love different people at once?

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I have my beliefs and doubts on this one wanted to get others peoples opinions and see what others type.. if you do believe love exists how do you know? do you think it eventually dies down?
I believe so - I've seen it in some elderly couples who've been together for decades. If riding out a relationship into your elder years, dealing with all the hardships that come along with that age (and everything else before it), and still being so close and connected with each other doesn't count as true love, then I don't know what does.

And I don't think it dies down -- more like it changes, um, "forms"? I mean, for instance -- the love that two newlyweds have for each other, I think, is 'different' than the love a 60-year couple has, but it's still love. That's my take on it.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I believe so - I've seen it in some elderly couples who've been together for decades. If riding out a relationship into your elder years, dealing with all the hardships that come along with that age (and everything else before it), and still being so close and connected with each other doesn't count as true love, then I don't know what does.

And I don't think it dies down -- more like it changes, um, "forms"? I mean, for instance -- the love that two newlyweds have for each other, I think, is 'different' than the love a 60-year couple has, but it's still love. That's my take on it.
I like this. More eloquently than I would have put it.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Not to me. The answer to this question relies heavily on experience.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depends on what you mean by "true" love. What's the "true" about?
I guess I just added the true in there because I know so many people that just throw word love out there too often and don't actually mean it. sometimes i think of the word love as just liking very much but when i add the word true to it i think of it as no matter what happens it won't die and even if that person did the worst thing imaginable you still wouldn't be able to let go. and youd get the same excited feeling just being with that person after years.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
well, for what it's worth, here's my opinion:

"true love" is a misnomer, I think. I prefer the term soulmates. after much soul-searching, I do believe there is such a thing. However, because this sort of thing depends on feelings, it is something that is akin to having "faith" - you gotta feel it to believe it.

I've lived here and in England, done a bit of travelling, been in the navy, and have met a fair cross section of society, I think. People have told me about this sort of connection, that they have experienced it, that they have found what they felt to be a soulmate. the way it seems to go is this: there is an instant recognition, love at first sight is felt, and then a deep abiding satisfaction and the feeling that they have been with that person before.

Sometimes it works out and they stay together, and describe each the other as their best friend. Sometimes it doesn't work out for various reasons and they become separated. But the feeling remains.

that said, I think that what many people think of as "true love" in our society is a misguided idea, fed to us by popular media, and that few people understand what love really is.

a physical attraction can start it, but that is fleeting. Even if it happens to last a few years or even a bit more, it can still be fleeting compared to a lifetime. we can't help that initial attraction, or who we develop feelings for. Eventually, as I say, that will go away or lessen. After that, love becomes a choice, a choice that is easier for some, harder for others. Some people have to remake that choice every day. It is made of mutual understanding, a shared history, respect, admiration, conversation, humor, and so on. If two people have that, then, assuming that by using the term "true love", a person means a love that lasts, then I guess you could call that "true love".

Using this definition, then my answer to your question is yes.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, for what it's worth, here's my opinion:

"true love" is a misnomer, I think. I prefer the term soulmates. after much soul-searching, I do believe there is such a thing. However, because this sort of thing depends on feelings, it is something that is akin to having "faith" - you gotta feel it to believe it.

I've lived here and in England, done a bit of travelling, been in the navy, and have met a fair cross section of society, I think. People have told me about this sort of connection, that they have experienced it, that they have found what they felt to be a soulmate. the way it seems to go is this: there is an instant recognition, love at first sight is felt, and then a deep abiding satisfaction and the feeling that they have been with that person before.

Sometimes it works out and they stay together, and describe each the other as their best friend. Sometimes it doesn't work out for various reasons and they become separated. But the feeling remains.

that said, I think that what many people think of as "true love" in our society is a misguided idea, fed to us by popular media, and that few people understand what love really is.

a physical attraction can start it, but that is fleeting. Even if it happens to last a few years or even a bit more, it can still be fleeting compared to a lifetime. we can't help that initial attraction, or who we develop feelings for. Eventually, as I say, that will go away or lessen. After that, love becomes a choice, a choice that is easier for some, harder for others. Some people have to remake that choice every day. It is made of mutual understanding, a shared history, respect, admiration, conversation, humor, and so on. If two people have that, then, assuming that by using the term "true love", a person means a love that lasts, then I guess you could call that "true love".

Using this definition, then my answer to your question is yes.
Yes this is what exactlly what I meant by true love, just didnt know how to explain

·
Registered
101 Posts
So if I'm understanding correctly, your idea of "true love" is that it is a connection that is recognized instantly upon meeting the person and always makes you feel excited upon seeing the person? So are you saying if you are friends first and the romance takes time to grow that the love isn't real? Or if you used to get a feeling of excitement when you saw that person, but now you are at a point where you like having them around but aren't like a giddy teenager anymore, the love isn't real? I think true love can exist and last, but I think it's usually very different from what you seem to be imagining.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
i think it's fleeting, but not in a bad way. i think true love comes about when you need it most. there's just a certain time for everything to work in that direction. it's like gravity. sometimes it lasts, sometimes it doesn't- if it doesn't, it doesn't mean it isn't true love. and true love in my definition is a love encompassing all of a person, including their flaws, and is unconditional. it's really just different for every person.

·
Banned
285 Posts
It absolutely exists, I was in 'true love' so to speak with my ex.. Until my depression and social anxiety got the best of me and all my other issues started to show their faces. Was with her for almost 7 years, would have easily spent my life with that girl. Look how many other folks who are happily married. Seems like true love to me is pretty common.

·
thoughts are just thought
1,263 Posts
It is the term "true love" which I am just not willing to admit exist.

True love tends to mean "fairy tale love" or the love of "soul mates" as if God (or whatever higher powers you believe in) pre-destined two people to meet and fall in love and then live happily ever after.

Does that exist? No.

Can people meet fall in love and stay together for a very long time? Yes, but I think it is a misnomer to call that "true love."

A lot of factors come into play when looking at couples that have been together for eons.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I think it exists, at least I'd like to believe it exists. However, I believe true, clear-sighted love to be quite rare, maybe that's what makes it so special and sought-after. The chances of meeting the right person in everyday life must be like 0.001%. Relationships are more about how much you are willing to compromise.

·
Registered
233 Posts
In my opinion, yes. I think some people think that "true love" basically means "permanent infatuation" or something. And that, sad to say, does not exist.

For me, true love means companionship, willing to share our ups and downs with the person, willing to better ourselves for that special person, accepting our partner's flaws (not the same as not being able to see their flaws - common during infatuation phase), you know, basically willing to go on the roller coaster ride we call life with them. True love is not being up high on the clouds all the time (ie infatuation) like these Hollywood movies and romance novels seem to make us believe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts