Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this a while, and done some research, and I think I might have SA. Here are the things that apply to me...

Anxious sensations;
Blushing- I blush so much, whenever I feel uncomfortable or under pressure
Sweating- My hands are nearly always really clammy :/
Racing heart- When I'm asked a question in class my heart goes really fast and I panic
Dry mouth- When asked something at school I find it hard to swallow
Feeling faint- My legs often go weak :p I Know it sounds silly..

Anxious thoughts about ourselves, others, and the situation:
"Everyone is staring at me."- I get really paranoid that I have something on my back, or something wrong with me that'll make people look
"They'll think I'm a loser."- I hate making mistakes
"People will see how nervous I am."- I avoid situations like this

Anxious behaviors, which can be triggered by anxiety, but can also make the anxiety worse over the long term:
Avoiding entering social situations- I often say I'm busy or don't feel well
Leaving situations - I've left a lot of social occasions, wanting to be alone
Only entering "safe" places or with "safe" people - Yep
Asking for reassurance from others- I always ask friends if I have anything on my back, anything on my face, etc.
Preparing excessively (memorizing what to say, extreme grooming)- I do both
Watching for signs that people are judging us- This makes me really paranoid..

I'm not sure whether this is just shyness or anything more? I guess it's started affecting my life, as I've skipped school recently to avoid a class presentation, and I've wanted to be alone more. I'm sure there must be others on here who worry that others think they are just making this up for attention or whatever, or think that you are overanalysing things. :S

·
Amazing
363 Posts
If you think you have SA try talking to a psychologist or doctor. They will tell you what you can do and help a lot.
In the mean time, welcome to SAS!!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey lucyinthesky welcome. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you do have SA. It mainly started to me about that age so I think you should first go to your doctor, tell a member of your family or a close friend, and then try and do something you enjoy socially even if its really difficult because it can only get worse if you do nothing and you will slowly find yourself in a position were you never leave your house on your own and you lose all your friends and when you try and seek help, you find that its much harder and that you have missed apart of your life. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
it may be sa, and then again, it may be something you're experiencing as a passing phase. my social anxiety began when i was around your age. i wish someone had encouraged me to go to counselling when i was younger so that i wouldn't have struggled with sa for so long.

so, maybe i can be that person for you. don't be embarrassed to seek counselling. maybe you can recover more quickly than me. welcome to the site, and i wish you the best!

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
that sounds almost exactly like me... i haven't been diagnosed because i've been avoiding seeking therapy (for something else) for literally years, but since it occurred to me that i might have SA i'm going to talk to a psychiatrist.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"They'll think I'm a loser."- I hate making mistakes
Me too. I feel intensely guilty about being wrong or making mistakes, even hours/days after I made the mistake (which usually was nothing serious anyway). I don't know how to deal with it, except to distract yourself by doing schoolwork or doing something you like (something that's hopefully time-consuming and detail-oriented) until the feeling passes.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, LucyInTheSky! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts