Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few times when I am about to fall asleep while laying on bed with eyes closed, I have a feeling of falling and then my heart beats fast and then my body shakes like I actually did fall but I didn't. It's very weird. Last time it happened was months ago. It's rare but I don't know what causes this. Anyone know?

·
Registered
378 Posts
A lot of people will feel like they're falling as you fall asleep, and then when you "land" it jerks you or wakes you up. I don't know what causes it. I think it's related to sleep paralysis, which is what your body does when you sleep, your muscles relax completely so you can't move around in your sleep. People who sleep walk don't have that trigger that causes them to relax like that. I personally think that's what the falling sensation is ... maybe just your body attempting to achieve sleep paralysis too quickly.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
Weird..it was only last night that I was lying on my bed and it felt like I was going to slide off. That may have been because I was dizzy..
I have no idea what causes it, but I think caithiggs has the right idea.

·
"Why So Serious?"
901 Posts
Lol I like when this happens for some reason...I just smile faintly and try to fall asleep again.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That happens to me several times a month. I hate it, it wakes me up after I already spent so long trying to go to sleep in the first place.

This is unrelated I think, but it also only happens when I am drifting off to sleep. I hear someone screaming in my ear, usually waking me up. It only happens once every couple of months though.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
A few times when I am about to fall asleep while laying on bed with eyes closed, I have a feeling of falling and then my heart beats fast and then my body shakes like I actually did fall but I didn't. It's very weird. Last time it happened was months ago. It's rare but I don't know what causes this. Anyone know?
OMG, OMG, OMG, that happens to me!!!!!!!! It hasn't happened in months though, but that **** used to happen like once a month(if that) to me-My body jerks more than shakes like I was about to fall but I caught myself, not like I actually did fall but also, at least one of my legs jerks too, when this happens-wow could this be related to SA??????? I mean what a ****ing coincidence that this **** happens to me and you

By the way, one time out of all the times its happened, this falling feeling was preceded by a mental visual(like a dream, but it wasn't cuz I'd only closed my eyes for like a minute) of me actually about to fall, like off of a ledge or something

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
it happens in the stage where your body is about to be immobilised from paralysis but sometimes you enter that point of being asleep momentarily before suddenly being 'frightened' awake again. The feeling of 'crashing' is caused by moving back towards the other side of that threshold.

I often get it while going to sleep and just as i'm waking in the morning, makes sense.

·
ಠ ¿ ಠ
913 Posts
Have you ever "completely fallen", or otherwise just let yourself go without "coming back" whenever you had one of these experiences? It sounds very much like you are experiencing the initial symptoms of falling asleep and then entering a dream while still mentally conscious.

I will sometimes frequently experience that feeling whenever I'm up for longer than thirty-six hours without sleep, or otherwise when I've had a serious lack of sleep but am not tired.

The next time you get that feeling, I suggest that you simply "let go" and allow the feeliing to come over you. If you do, in fact, experience a lucid dream after this phenomenon has occurred, I can assure you that it will be a brilliant experience.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think I get some thing like that, but its actually me day dreaming or when I sleep but not completely asleep, I start to think something like I am walking and basically when I realize were i am again(bed) I have this moment where I get confused with my legs and jerk them thinking I am still touching the ground with my feet.

It its the opposite of someone falling asleep while driving, i think. that person thinks he maybe some where else probably resting when in fact their driving.

Do anyone get this sick to your stomach feeling when say your on a bus or car and you are looking at something but the car starts moving and you feel as if your gut is staying behind, don't know how to explain it. but trying to read something stationary while in a moving car makes me sick. :puke

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I've experienced this intermittently my whole life. It is a weird feeling, you do try to catch yourself, but you get used to it I think.

caithiggs, you were saying it is related to sleep paralysis. I didn't realise that, but I suppose it does make sense. Your body is slipping from one state to another, and being quickly pulled back to awareness, jolting you.

Talking of sleep paralysis, has anyone ever experienced this will awake? It is horrible! I used to get this all the time growing up. I would wake up unable to move, but could see/feel people moving on the periphery of my vision, and it was very scary. I used to have to try to edge my hands to the edges of the bed (they always seemed to start out under my stomach or chest - I used to sleep on my front a lot); as soon as my fingers could grip the sides of the bed I was able to pull myself up and break the paralysis. I think this is wear you awake, but you are still dreaming, so you can't move, and can still see the things going on in your dream. It is a horrible experience, that i'm glad I no longer get.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Talking of sleep paralysis, has anyone ever experienced this will awake? It is horrible! I used to get this all the time growing up. I would wake up unable to move, but could see/feel people moving on the periphery of my vision, and it was very scary.
I haven't had this happen but there's been about 2 or 3 times in my life, where I "woke up" but I couldn't open my eyes-I wanted to open them to wake up, but no matter what I did they wouldn't open-it took like about minute or 2 to open them

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have that maybe one or two nights a month. It'll usually happen a couple of times in the same night. It doesn't usually bother me too much.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I get 'twitches' when I havnt slept in a long time and then fall asleep. I get a sudden dream of something about to hit me, or falling and it makes my body jump or convulse.
My bf gets it too. Last time he did it, I was awake and he jumped then said 'a ball hit me in the face'. lol. I think he was asleep.

But as some other said, its the point where your body is entering sleep paralysis.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts