Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you feel about and toward this word.

For me, it makes me feel lonely..the same lonely I feel when Im around people bc it reminds me of how alone I am b/c theyre together ,laughing...while Im passing through. In a way, it seems like a foreign word... far out there ..beyond my use... b/c I don't really have one..so I don't use the word often.

So what about yew :) ?
does it bother yu, have an associations tied to this word that you'd like to share?

SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
I don't dislike the world friend but I find it hard to call people friends, and other things linked to intimacy in any way like saying someone's name. Like I don't deserve to. My brains quite broken.

Half agony, half hope.
The word doesn't bother me, I have the simplest time calling someone I care about a friend, I however can't for the life of me believe I am considered a friend to others. I don't know why this is??? Maybe it's my messed up relationships in the past, but I always assume I'm nothing more than a hindrance or something to be laughed at.

Banned
Not really, but it can be confusing. I'm unsure if I can apply the f-word to my classmates, acquaintances, co-workers, etc etc.

the last song ♥
i wish i had friends :blank

Registered
I think everyone is a friend even if they dont.I intensely dislike people in general but as soon as I'm around them I dont seem to mind them that much and even care about them a little.
I know some powerful people in my town who send business my way but I'm reluctant to call them friends out of respect.I call them acquaintances.But friend? If anyone wants needs a friend I'm usually the go to guy,I listen.As soon as I open my mouth heads turn away.Go figure

Registered
I like the word friend, I don't have any weird feelings about it.

Someday I hope to have a very close group of friends who trust each other and help each other out :)

Out there...
I don't dislike the world friend but I find it hard to call people friends, and other things linked to intimacy in any way like saying someone's name. Like I don't deserve to. My brains quite broken.
I however can't for the life of me believe I am considered a friend to others. I don't know why this is??? Maybe it's my messed up relationships in the past, but I always assume I'm nothing more than a hindrance or something to be laughed at.
I can absolutely relate to both of these. The term "friend" I have issues with because I either take it too seriously or it's used too loosely. Most of the time, it's both. Most people that I felt I could call "friends" eventually didn't want anything to do with me. So, I find it hard to call somebody a "friend" and I get pretty uncomfortable when someone calls me a "friend", all because of my abandonment and security issues.

I am only bothered if I am told that too many times in a single conversation. If I am spending a lot of time in your presence and I seem to enjoy it, should be obvious I am considering you a friend.

The Explorer
For me, it makes me feel lonely..the same lonely I feel when Im around people bc it reminds me of how alone I am b/c theyre together ,laughing...while Im passing through. In a way, it seems like a foreign word... far out there ..beyond my use... b/c I don't really have one..so I don't use the word often.
Urgh. I hate how much this describes how I feel too. I came to this thread thinking I had no problem with the word. I guess I do. Its weird I remember when I was younger the word didn't seem so foreign. I don't know when it changed for me.

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bazing lazer, mersault, mattmc and lunar I relate to you guys so much, in fact, Im glad you all posted bc it makes me feel im not the only one feeling this way.

100% lame
@Sugarslippers

I'm sorry you feel that way, girly.

The word friend for me makes me think of sacrifices and trust, just like the word relationship. unfortunately, trust is probably the pinnacle of my social issues.

making friends is such a drag anyways, you have to seek certain people out and try them out like clothes and if they don't fit, you have to either throw them away or bring them back.

too much work but sometimes, it's worth it.

Despite all my rage..
I think the opposite. I think the word "friend" is a strong word with alot of meaning. I honestly think it gets thrown around too loosely. People tend to refer to "aquaintances" as friends. To me, to be my friend, you have to be special to me in some kind of way.

Honestly, the only time the word bothers me, as cliche as it sounds, is when I have feelings towards a woman who only sees me as a friend. Alot of women I've met tend to profusely use the word "friend" to get that point across without having to actually say "I only look at you as a friend". But that's a whole other subject. (I hope I didn't open up a can of worms, lol)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts