Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing and reading a lot about it, but I've never tried it. Looking to incorporate it in my supplements if it's beneficial. No one I know has taken it. Anything to help battle the anxiety and depression can't hurt much... Thoughts/input?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've been hearing and reading a lot about it, but I've never tried it. Looking to incorporate it in my supplements if it's beneficial. No one I know has taken it. Anything to help battle the anxiety and depression can't hurt much... Thoughts/input?
it's definately worth taking. essential fatty acids are ESSENTIAL. you need them

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
A diet that is solid in nutrition is good. its not just one thing. Eating fish, oily fish such as salmon, sardines etc, is VERY good fo the omega threes. And Omega 3 is very good for basic health. When you're healthy on a cellular level, anxiety is diminished. Grass fed meat such as bison is alsom really good.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I get my omega-3s from natural food sources like avocados, salmon, flaxseeds, and nut butters (though the last one might be higher in omega-6). I can't say it's made a difference in my mood but it's good for you anyways, so can't hurt.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have been taking them for years and it never did anything for my SA. Though I barely gets sick thanks to them and if I get a cold it will only last a few hours to a day unlike before which could take up to 5 days

·
SASsy
18,107 Posts
I took fish oil for quite a while. It didn't do Jack Squat for my anxiety.

·
Unabridged
148 Posts
According to the National Institutes of Health, consuming 6,000 mg of fish oil, which contain omega-3 fatty acids, helps fight depression, anxiety, and ADHD. Best of all, it helps you live longer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I exercise, eat comparatively healthy, and try to take supplements for what I don't get from food. I was just curious for testimonies, I suppose, since I've heard a lot about people taking it for anxiety related disorders. A healthy diet and exercise are great, don't get me wrong, but don't make me feel better mentally. I'm hesitant about taking medication for it, so I was looking for something down the natural line... Guess there's always more looking to do.

·
Stranger
238 Posts
I'm gonna throw this out here. Try eating fish. I don't like tuna for the reason that it has a high mercury content. But try red salmon, sockeye is my favorite. Fatty acids can help your memory I believe. But, fish has many more nutrients in it than just the fatty acids. Remember to always take with a meal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While there are some studies that show that people with anxiety and depression are more likely to have a defficiency of Omega-3, there are more studies that show that there isn't a great deal of evidence that show that taking omega-3 supplents helps people with anxiety and depression. Besides that, doctors seem to agree that it's one of the best supplements to take and really important for many other conditions like heart health and for overall health. I take it daily for that reason, and have never really gone on and off of it so can't comment on whther it helps my SA or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No change in my experience.

I was taking Omega 3 supplements every day and I was still completely ensconced in my SA. It didn't help the depression either.

It just made my burps smell like flax.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I do well when I take fish oil supplements. I once read that if you suffer from depression, taking more than the recommended dose can help you improve your mood. I can't remember the exact number though. I just remember that the recommended dose was one, so I did the math and popped three. I felt fantastic lol, very happy. But I didn't want to get into that habit, so I always just take one.

It definitely helps with my concentration and mood. I recommend it.

There was also a study done on mice that were given omega 3 and 6 supplements in their feed every day, compared to ones that were just given regular feed. The ones on the supplements retained their cognitive function as they aged with no side effects - it stayed relatively the same as when they were young. The other group showed evident signs of memory loss and impaired cognitive function, much like we see in humans. If I had the article I would source it, but I can't remember where I read it. The first group of mice on the supplements also lived a lot longer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can't say if it will do anything for anxiety, but it's certainly good for your general health.

I take a krill oil supplement, and it definitely makes a difference with regards to my knee pain.

Furthermore, omega-3s are best taken from fish/krill oil (I'm of the opinion that krill is better, but the verdict is still out on that), as the ones in flaxseed and other plant sources aren't easily converted and absorbed.

imo, the only real ways to get good omega 3s are from a good krill/fish oil, or from eating good quality wild caught seafood regularly.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts