Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone find it really uncomfortable with loud music blaring in the background when your socializing? or at the bar or something?
my immediate reaction is just to not say a word and stay quiet, because the music overpowers me it feels like - but everyone around me is chatting away! so i feel like i have to talk! but when that happens, i have nothing to say. it feels like i never have anything to say when its really loud. or instead i'll act like a mime, and just like use my hands to talk and making funny faces at ppl and stuff.

do you guys ever feel like stuff around you is overpowering you? or other people? there really loud and talkative and it almost makes you feel 100 times smaller?

i find that talking with ppl, goes okay, if i'm not so aware of myself and the things that i'm saying. i usually get more comfortable, when i'm like doing something else at the same time, like folding laundry or whatever. or even smoking! i guess its because i'm busy doing something, and therefore i don't have to fully concentrate on what i'm saying.

do any of you have the feeling that 'you're life hasn't started yet?'. like your just constantly hiding and avoiding things, but one day things will go good.
i think i'm making unrealistic expectations tho. its just when i compare myself to other ppl, there goals are big, and mine are like "...get through this 'hanging out' session" its just so pathetic! i dont think i'll ever be happy and have friends and feel relaxed enough to enjoy anything. ****

·
Registered
104 Posts
I almost never have the opportunity to socialize. But when I do, I don't feel overpowered by loud music, although it annoys me.

I'm in my 30's and I do feel that my life hasn't started yet, so to speak, although I'm striving to change things for the better.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I don't like trying to talk with loud music in the backround because I don't normally project my voice very loudly. So when musics playing I feel like I have to scream just for anyone to hear me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Babyblue I feel the same way! I get real overwhelmed by almost everything around me. I used to think that I was hiding behind loud music or other distractions but now I'm not so sure. I really 100% cannot focus when other things are going on around me. But I also get super overwhelmed when someone I dont know puts their entire attention only on me.
and I need to have something in my hands or to be doing something when im talking too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, loud noise levels definitely affect me. It’s one of the many, many reasons I can’t stand most bars and clubs, because they blare music.

I actually spend some time worrying about hearing loss :lol.

Anyway, I can relate. I have a hard time ‘projecting’. My mom is amazing at it, but sadly she did not pass that skill down to me. So I just end up not talking because everyone asks me ‘what?’ anyway. It definitely makes me uncomfortable and I feel bad because people wonder why I’m so quiet. I just can’t process all that noise.

I’m also one of those people who is overly sensitive to sounds, visual input, even scratchy clothes. So I’m not sure how much of it’s SA or how much of it is over-sensitivity for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can absolutely empathise with you Elles Belles regarding noise sensitivity - I can't bear loud music though mainly it is the bass thumping that really has me upset and agitated. It really affects me badly.
How on earth do people communicate when the noise around them is so loud? Whatever happened to the concept of music as a pleasant background sound that you could either enjoy or ignore but at least talk over?! :afr

·
A Unicorn!!!
234 Posts
Loud noise has always made me feel crappy.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Actually, loud/busy environments allow me to loosen up a bit. I think I feel like the focus is less on me than on the music or the crowd. I don't seek out those environments often, though, because the idea of loosening up a bit usually scares me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i need something in my hands or i need a bracelet to play with if someones talking to me ...or just if i'm around people and they are all talking to eachother...i can't just stand there ...i need something to look at !

·
Registered
209 Posts
I find lots of noise a bit of an 'overload' too. If there is loud music, loud TV, or just other people talking loudly, I can't think, so it's hard to have a conversation. It get quite irritated with loud noise. I thought it was just me!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a recent example of this, heh... today in class, we split off into groups to do projects, and I couldn't focus on what my group members were saying. The noise around us (probably the noise we made too) was so loud that it went in one ear and out the other. I just ended up not saying a word and not helping at all. I felt bad. Usually I participate in groups because I want to do my fair share, but it didn't happen this time.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Noise by itself doesn't bother me, but if I am trying to concentrate then I can't stand it. For instance, I can't listen to music with lyrics while I'm typing. It's way too distracting. Also I can't shop if a store's too crowded and loud.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I find it annoying when i'm trying to sleep and my sister has people over and there talking, it keeps me awake at night and before she was home from college I already had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Where others in my family can sleep through any loud noise, I dont know how they do it lol.

I dont mind loud music/noise if im at a party or concert or something, but I find if the tv is too loud if i;m in the room after a while it hurts my ears but i dont think it has anything to do with SA just sometimes loud noises gets annoying after a while.

I cant drive with music on, I get distracted easily, but I have A.D.D. so thats why.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Yes, lots of noise scrambles my thoughts and amps up my anxiety. It's almost like my brain can't filter out the background noise. Anyhoo, you won't catch me going on a first date at a restuarant for this reason. (If ever, LOL!)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Introverts have a low filter for their surroundings where as its proposed that
an extrovert has a high filter..
I have been disturbed by noise alot of times. At work I where ear plugs..when I can.
Noise in the morning drives me nuts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts