Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I mean is,are there certain animals who for no obvious reasons are not accepted into the pack,herd etc.?

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,827 Posts
Well in the animal kingdom sometimes mothers leave their newborns as well, I would imagine that might result in a unique scent that others of the pack recognize & avoid.

I once seen a clip on some talk show about a dog that had panic attacks when it's owner would leave for work, that was intersting

·
Registered
290 Posts
yup i even had a mouse that was more scared of people and the new mouse that i put in the cage, she wasn't as social as my other two mice that would groom one another etc. and she would always sneeze and freeze when i came by the cage...

·
Registered
928 Posts
yup.. I think my female bird has SA, she is scared of anyone but me and if anyone new is visiting, she hides. My male bird, even though is a social people loving bird, I think has self esteem issues. I often catch him contemplating doing something birdlike, like hanging upside down or jumping from heights, I can see the thoughts going through his head, eventually, he'll give up as if to say 'nah I cant do it!' (even though he has wings and wont be in any danger. LOL) He wont try anything new. I took him outside once to see if he'd like to explore, but he hid under my hair and insisted on going back inside. :)

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I think maybe they have something like it. I take my larger dog to a dog park, and its common for some dogs to appear overly submissive and skittish around other dogs. I really think these dogs would avoid this experience if they could, and some will cower next to their people and refuse to interact with the other dogs.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
In psychology class, I remember reading about monkeys that were not raised by affectionate mothers being very socially avoidant.
The baby monkey experiment was the first thing that popped into my mind. Monkeys that were taken away from their mothers for a prolonged period were totally ****ed up when returned to normal "monkey society".
i reemember in A -level psychology class when we were shown the video of this poor little monkey covering his face and cowering in the corner of the enclosure as all the other monkeys were looking at him like "WTF?" i remember vividly thinking i could relate to this crazy monkey :p

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
Weird.....my dog was the opposite. It must have been his time in the pet shop prior to us adopting him. He was friendly - he would jump up at people. He was a cocker spaniel, so he'd wag his tail so hard, his entire backside would shake. When he got tired of swinging it from side-to-side, he'd wag in a circle :lol

When it came to other dogs, he'd go right up to them - bigger or not. He'd freak them out. All he wanted to do was play. We couldn't leave the door open because he'd run out and go across the street :lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.