Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I do notice that a lot of the US members here seem to be from the same regions. I have no idea why that is. Is it climate?... so cal has a lot of members but Florida doesn't. And Ohio seems to be a major hotspot... but who knows why.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've noticed alot of Aussies here as well.

My guess would be Non English speakers, probably have their own forums.

You really can't expect people from third world countries to post here, because a) they would not be properly diagnosed and b) they would not have internet access c) they would be uncomfortable writing in English.

Although I did see a video on youtube featuring a guy from India who had severe SA.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
"Where are you from" polls have been done on SAS a few times and we always get an oddly large number of Canadians like 20%, which doesn't make sense in terms of population.

Canada has basically the same population size as Australia yet we don't have 20% from down under. Canada should have only 1/10 as many members as the US being 1/10 the size, yet they are over represented for reasons that I can't explain.

·
Registered
746 Posts
That's a very interesting idea, and I would guess that culture does have something to do with isolation and possibly social anxiety. I think in individualistic countries (as you said, here and the UK) the tendency is to define ourselves by personal attributes (for instance "I am...liberal/conservative, socially anxious, etc..."). It could be that people in more collectivistic countries are defined more by relationship (for instance: "I am a father/son, part of a family/ethnic group, etc..."), and might therefore be less exposed to the possible causes of SA. That's just a guess though, and I would also be curious if someone from a less individualistic country has some ideas about this.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't believe in clinical diagnosis. Here in Asia few people enjoy submitting themselves to scrutiny of any kind.

Freedom of speech can be a new and uncomfortable thing for those like me who received very traditional and "speak only when spoken to" upbringings.

Being diagnosed with social anxiety is one thing - living with it and not knowing about it can cause people to suffer in silence, distancing themselves from others. Without third party assistance their negative cycles can become permanent.

That's why I try to help where I can. In places where mental healthcare is undesirable or not well accepted by society, a helping hand is often one you need to extend yourself.

I have received discrimination from people who claim that "since I don't have SA I don't know how it feels like". Guess what? I could care less. I know how it's like to have no help whatsoever from even family and friends because of awareness, culture, and the newness of the concept of mental health in the local context. Even today one who is admitted to a mental institution is grouped together with the criminally insane.

Unfair? Yes. Live with it and adapt - SA isn't a negative thing if you take it the right way.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
"Where are you from" polls have been done on SAS a few times and we always get an oddly large number of Canadians like 20%, which doesn't make sense in terms of population.
I've noticed that too. I think it's partially due to the fact that Canadians like to say that they're Canadian, and partially due to Canada's high percentage of internet penetration.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I've noticed that too. I think it's partially due to the fact that Canadians like to say that they're Canadian, and partially due to Canada's high percentage of internet penetration.
I don't know. Are there actually Americans under the age of ancient who aren't online? I decided I really needed to get online 11 years ago when even my salsa had a website. Everything here in the US says visit us at www.whatever.com -- if you don't have web access it's like you're cut off from the world. It's almost like being in 1960 and not having a phone yet.

Edit: shocking that whatever.com actually exists when I just used it as a hypothetical.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Edit: shocking that whatever.com actually exists when I just used it as a hypothetical.
It's a parked domain, it's not a website.

And my dad hasn't got the internet and has managed a very successful business for over thirty years. He's recently bought another one too.

·
(.*?)
6,823 Posts
Canadians, along with all the americans from Ohio and Michigan, are here because the weather is so bad they can't go outside. It may or may not lead to more SA, but it certainly leads to more computer time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's a very interesting idea, and I would guess that culture does have something to do with isolation and possibly social anxiety.
I agree. One's culture, how one fits in with that culture... can definitely affect SA, I think.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
Canadians, along with all the americans from Ohio and Michigan, are here because the weather is so bad they can't go outside. It may or may not lead to more SA, but it certainly leads to more computer time.
Yeah, plus maybe they get less exercise due to the weather, and less sunlight as well? I had to leave Seattle after 5 years because the weather really got to me - I missed sunlight.

Or maybe SA is caused by something in the water, heh.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I watched an episode of "60 Minutes" about a year or so ago, and the topic was about Finland and how shy they are in general. They must have a reputation for being a shy culture. Sounds like the place for me, maybe I'll take a visit there one day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts