Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my Social Anxiety and general anxiety was at it's worst, particularly related to school, I went camping from time to time with the school camping group. Now this was a chalenge itself but it would give me a week or so break from the extreme tension that was my day to day experience in school. On returning I would be somewhat calmer for even weeks.....

What are your experiences with natue????

JohnH

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
Lately I've been hearing the birds and animals very early in the morning making noise. Usually it would bother me but I've been learning to enjoy it and try to be in touch with what it all means.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I love being outdoors, where there are no people around. Where I used to live, there were miles of woods and fields where a person could walk for hours and not see anyone. I used to go out with my dog and just roam around in the woods, looking for animal tracks, and I would see foxes, deer, martens, and I even discovered an occupied badger set. Nothing is better, for me at least, than being alone in the great outdoors. I live in the city now, and I don't have my dog anymore, either :(.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hi john,

i kinda understand where your coming from. maybe being outdoors away from normality helps us to escape our negative thinking and feel more relaxed and free and being around nature and beutiful scenery helps our mood. i go camping alot with my girlfriend and just the sense of escape helps me to feel more positive but yeh a few days back home and back to normality and ANTS come back and so on.... maybe another way of looking at it is instead of hiding away in are rooms or houses when we are on holiday we are out in more social environments and experiencing exposure around people which helps us feel better as well?

·
slanted and disenchanted
321 Posts
I love being outdoors, where there are no people around. Where I used to live, there were miles of woods and fields where a person could walk for hours and not see anyone. I used to go out with my dog and just roam around in the woods, looking for animal tracks, and I would see foxes, deer, martens, and I even discovered an occupied badger set. Nothing is better, for me at least, than being alone in the great outdoors. I live in the city now, and I don't have my dog anymore, either :(.
i'm the same way! i need to talk a walk in the woods by myself at least a couple times a week just to recharge. sometimes i bring music with me, but it's also nice to be observant and take in the nature sounds. it really clears the head.

on a side note, i'm sorry to hear about your dog :(

·
king of the road
175 Posts
My parents own a lot of wooded land. I go out there at least once a week. It's one of the few places I can go to truly clear my head. I find that I'm in observe-mode when I'm out there, and I'm often fascinated by very simple things. I'm not scared to wander off the trail. I have a very child-like curiosity when I'm in nature.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I spent yesterday at enchanted rock state park taking photos. I love taking photos of rocks and trees because rocks and trees are inanimate. They can't hurt me.

not my pic, but an example of the place i was at:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I love the outdoors. There's a tree outside my bedroom window where all kinds of birds and squirrels gather. Its calming to watch and listen to them. Theres also a trail me and my dad go to somtimes where we see snakes, deer, turtles, ducks, carp, goldfish. Its very peaceful out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like to walk down by the river by my house, there is so much wildlife on the river. I am a nature photographer so I often go there to take pictures. I am usually alone which is kinda depressing, I just wish i had people to share things with.. like all the things i see and stuff. Ever since going digital in 2007 my interest in photography has grown to new levels and this has helped my anxiety. I love nature.

·
Protector of the Den
15,263 Posts
I enjoy being out in nature. I would much rather spend time outside than at a party. I used to know a really good place that wasn't frequented by people and had tons of wildlife. I used to spend hours exploring the forest. I found interesting things like abandoned buildings and an old man made pond. I've seen an otter in a marsh area and occasionaly see blanding's turtles. It was a really great place to go if you wanted to be alone. Unfortunately, the township put a trail through and now there are always people back there.

I like to go walking on other nature trails as well. This place was just convient because it was so close.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
My dream is to own some land some day, enough that I could walk around and explore it without ever having to come across other people.

Either that, or overcome SA so it wouldn't bother me so much.

I suppose the latter is more likely, as getting enough money to own land is pretty difficult with SA...

·
Registered
29 Posts
My love of nature perhaps hinders me. I own land, and love being here on it, in the solitude, the familiarity of having lived here my whole life and the wonder/peacefulness of it.....I love it SO MUCH that I, literally, never want to leave it. Which is bad for socializing and a career.
I could be perfectly content to reside among these trees, grasses, squirrels, birds, and flowers for the rest of my life. It's the need of money and the rude intrusion of the outside world that necessitates a job, a therein lies the problem. I don't wanna leave it every day!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.