Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a friend of mine was really shy and maybe the attributing factors was that he wet the bed... does n e one else do it, or know of anyone else that does and are adults now

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
It's safe to say that a large number of adults do, given that there is a market for adult diapers, urinary catheters, and medications for urinary incontinence. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure what factors go into being able to control one's bladder at night. I think that it's probably neurological more than anything, I know everyone thinks of it as somehow psychological but I pretty well doubt that when you think about it. I mean, you have to be sufficiently aware of your body, you have to be capable of waking up, and you have to keep pressure throughout. Those are physical and neurological things.

I'm guessing that if anyone did have bed wetting problems into adulthood, they wouldn't likely admit it, even on a social anxiety board. Yeah, I do know a few adults who wet the bed that I've worked with, but they are all developmentally disabled so it's kind of a different situation. :stu

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Caedmon said:
It's safe to say that a large number of adults do, given that there is a market for adult diapers, urinary catheters, and medications for urinary incontinence.
Yeah, but that's aimed at the elderly crowd, not your typical 20-something SAS member. I see those Detrol LA ads on TV "for when you've always got to go" and then the lady takes the pill and she no longer has the urge to pee. They list the side effects as dry mouth, constipation, and urinary retention -- gee, you can get all this with imipramine for a vastly lower price, and imipramine might help depression too!

I've never seen this subject come up on SAS before, other than when Null (formerly Monkey Chatter, formerly RadioMan) talked about his 30-something brother who'd pass out drunk and wet the bed because he was too intoxicated to get up and use the bathroom. Moral of the story: get drunk on very hard liquor -- like 150-proof rum -- as beer will have you peeing all night long and that poor mattress will be soaked like a sponge by the time you recover.[/quote]

·
Registered
994 Posts
My step dad, who is 48.......................................................No, he's 49 now! He doesn't wet the bed that I know of............But he has a terrible time with his bladder............If he says stop the car, I have to go........He means it..........Most of us know when we have to go, we know we can wait, not him............There have been times where he didn't make it.......... It's terrible for him. He knows every portable potty between his house and work, which is, maybe 30 minutes................No medical problems, nothing.........

(I like writing my step dad is 49, makes me feel like I'm in my 20s!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts