Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 29 and just recently looked into psychology for help with my SA.

I've tried CBT a bit, and it seems pretty great. But do I have to do written exercises every day, for the rest of my life?

What have your experiences been? Have you improved, and stayed well for a long time?

Please give me some good news. This gets better, right?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm 29 too but have not done CBT yet. I have good experiences and then bad experiences. I guess you have to realize with SA, all experiences are not going to be good but there will be times when you can just feel normal. And then realize, maybe people don't notice as much as you think that you have SA. Even social people can get nervous in some situations.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It does get better. I found out I had SA when I was 26 or 27. And I'm 30 now and I'm a lot better than I was before. Just reading up on SA books and trying to some social exposures has helped. I'm considering medication but unsure about it. Because I've had bad side effects from other medications before (not related to SA).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I feel a little better about the future. Tonight was pretty much crisis night for me. It was look in the mirror night. You need to get this handled night.

Mango, what about social exposure helps?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Some people take a month with CBT, some people take a couple of years. It all depends on your commitment and your ability to accept that your fundamental thought process will likely change. It also depends on how bad your anxiety is, or how long you have been suffering from negative thoughts.

There will be setbacks/days where you think you're going backwards. The best thing you can do is to take it as a setback and don't let it hurt the progress you have made, or the progress you could make tomorrow.

·
World Experimenter
724 Posts
It will get better. I have improved myself over the years, though before I didn't think I could get to this stage (better). I still get stuck in those thoughts, I am still having problems even though I have become better, but we have to believe it will get better. I believe we just have to keep going on even if it seems difficult.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
To bring you all down, I, the lord of darkness, shall chime in. In my case it doesn't get better. Each year I descend deeper into my mental hell. I've never done CBT because I'm too afraid to do it. The regulars here know I'm very cheap and lack insurance to cover CBT, but I seriously doubt I could do it even if it were free (short of being drugged out of my mind to get me there).

So I just sit here drinking, munching Xanax, and waiting for death to end my hell on earth. If that doesn't sound happy, well, SA has fully beaten every bit of happiness & hope out of me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I just sit here drinking, munching Xanax, and waiting for death to end my hell on earth. If that doesn't sound happy, well, SA has fully beaten every bit of happiness & hope out of me.
UltraShy, I just started taking Xanax, and it makes me feel a little blah, and too much is kind of depressing. Have you ever wondered if the Xanax is have a depressant effect on you?

·
PreciousGleamingMcNugget
5,593 Posts
I'm sure it will. I'll probably get cantankerous and won't care anymore in my old age hahaha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts