Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has been sitting with me for a while....I've been wondering if my problems are stemming from not loving myself. I have debates on if I love myself or not.....cause if I loved me I wouldn't have SA. But then again I don't feel that I hate myself so can you still love yourself and have SA?

Another thing, how can I love myself if I'm living with something that causes me to hate myself. If I didn't have SA I would love myself. I hate SA and I feel that that is me and that is my life. I'm working to change it and someone said that I have to love myself to change it but I do love myself I just don't love SA. And why would I want to accept this part of me. This demon. This curse. How can I love it. It's ruining my life. Or maybe I'm ruining my life. Which is why I hate me.

I know I probably confused you with this love hate stuff but it's hard to find your identity with SA. I obviously want to love me but I'm being held back by me.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
If a person has cancer, do they not love themselves because they have cancer? SA is similar. It is something you struggle with and it's something you can overcome by seeking the help you need.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Another thing, how can I love myself if I'm living with something that causes me to hate myself. If I didn't have SA I would love myself.
Some worthwhile reflections and questions to ask yourself, I agree.

For me it is more complex. I can hate myself for many reasons. It is partly because I envy more confident people and wish I could dismiss them as easily as they dismiss me. But also things such as religious guilt and lack of talent in certain areas such as music or business(street smart) or just being a very average student academically.

But I can love myself too. often it is my mood. After hard physical activity, I can feel quite at peace with the world and just haven't the energy to dislike anyone including myself.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I believe the biggest reason for having any mental problem is lack of self acceptance, esteem, love and worth. I think it stems from the built up negative views others have of you, not your own honest and true views of yourself.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Right right, but what makes you anxious? All SA is not the same, some of us feel shame, some of us feel doubt, some of us feel pressure or something completely different. Regardless...

That's a good question, but you seem to have already found the answer. Hate (being the opposite of love) is not the cause of SA, though it may be a consequence of all the shame and struggle.

Interestingly enough, depending on how you define "love", love can be the cure though hatred not be the cause. Love can solve many things, where hate does not exist.

The opposite of shame is pride, and I imagine enough pride can produce love (Granted, love of a fleeting variety). What you likely want to rid, is yourself of shame. But again, all SA is not the same and I do not know what makes you anxious.

I doubt SA is a part of your true self, but every step not taken is "holding yourself back".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts