·
Empty Pride
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
No, I went a long period of time without one in my late teens and now I have one and my social life sucks just as much.

Honestly a cell phone is a waste of money at this point in the life.. I'd do just as well without it and save $50 a month.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,832 Posts
It would be nice to play around on the net with while away from the house.. but otherwise it would have no significant role on my own sense of self worth. I can't justify the expense of it.

·
We all deserve something.
1,786 Posts
actually probably does the opposite for me, it's something I can pull out of my pocket and look at to distract myself from getting into a social situation, it is a waste of money though, seeing as hardly anyone texts me besides my mom these days, but it is a nice little tool to have I guess.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
No, I have a basic phone, not a smart phone; and it's really just a tool.

It's the only phone I have so I do use it to call my parents and make a few other social-type calls every once in a long while.

·
By myself, but not alone.
501 Posts
Not at all. I rarely get texts or calls from anybody. My iPhone's pretty much just a $600 portable entertainment center for me. Whenever I'm bored, I just pull it out and browse the internet. I sometimes PRETEND to text in public to make it look like I'm normal. I see people all the time, and every one of them always texting someone. When I say everyone, I mean EVERYONE. It seems like I'm the only one that isn't texting someone. I go MONTHS before someone texts me for whatever reason.

·
Author
242 Posts
I think my cell phone made me even more anti-social. Then again, I hated using a regular phone. Hated answering it lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not at all. I rarely get texts or calls from anybody. My iPhone's pretty much just a $600 portable entertainment center for me. Whenever I'm bored, I just pull it out and browse the internet. I sometimes PRETEND to text in public to make it look like I'm normal. I see people all the time, and every one of them always texting someone. When I say everyone, I mean EVERYONE. It seems like I'm the only one that isn't texting someone. I go MONTHS before someone texts me for whatever reason.
Ever consider other people are doing the same as you? Lots of people use their phones as a crutch in social situations to avoid feeling awkward or whatever.

·
The Game Master
582 Posts
No. I honestly hardly answer my phone. I prefer quality conversations and refuse to answer texts from friends that merely say "hey, what's up?" or "hi". If they wish to ask a question specifically or speak of something mildly interesting, sure, but otherwise I just ignore them. I have done this so often my friends rarely ever text me anymore, although I really am not complaining. I have better things to do than to indulge in dull or idle chatter.

·
Sane
1,334 Posts
I had a basic cell phone a few years back that I brought for like £10. The only contacts I had on there were my mother and father. The phone has long since been forgotton about and is likely collecting dust bunnies in an uninhabited area of my bedroom,

·
Registered
95 Posts
i set a new ringtone, never heard it since.
phones are mainly just for personal entertainment, barely for communications.

·
By myself, but not alone.
501 Posts
I prefer quality conversations and refuse to answer texts from friends that merely say "hey, what's up?" or "hi". If they wish to ask a question specifically or speak of something mildly interesting, sure, but otherwise I just ignore them.
Same here. I find that whenever one of my friends texts me saying one of those phrases, they usually want me to do something for them. Every time I respond it's always, "Hey, I need 20 bucks." or "Hey, I'm at a party and I'm too drunk to drive. Can you drive me home?" or "I want you to come to my business meeting." There's always ulterior motives.

·
Empty Pride
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a basic cell phone a few years back that I brought for like £10. The only contacts I had on there were my mother and father. The phone has long since been forgotton about and is likely collecting dust bunnies in an uninhabited area of my bedroom,
your location haunts me

·
Registered
798 Posts
It sucks because everyone is always on their cell phone and no one really wants to talk anymore.

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
Hell no.

Try having a phone and no use for it.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
No. I don't use it too much. I mostly just use it to talk to family. People only call to tell me where they're at or ask me simple stuff... no real conversations. I mostly get texts of the same nature too... just text a couple of people, but it doesn't make me feel more social, no.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
No, I have a basic phone, not a smart phone; and it's really just a tool.

It's the only phone I have so I do use it to call my parents and make a few other social-type calls every once in a long while.
I have a basic phone too :)

For me, it's for safety rather than socializing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts