Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Does happiness of other people make you happy?

• Yes, it makes me happy.

Votes: 42 24.6%
  • No, it does not make me happy.

Votes: 53 31.0%
  • It depends on my mood.

Votes: 76 44.4%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it make you happy when you see a happy couple in love, someone with a smile on their face, someone who has really cool toys/possessions? Or does it just make you wish you were them, or bring up some other negative feeling?

Personally, I love seeing other people happy and successful, and love helping people. I feel terrible when I see someone who is unhappy. It gives me anxiety/depression when I see people who are depressed or angry, but seeing happy people or making someone else happy helps it go away and reminds me that there's hope.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I think someone I feel positively about being happy would tend to make me feel a little better, although there are instances where seeing other people's happiness could make me feel worse. I can be envious of others' friendships and social experiences, for example.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
If it is somebody close to me, then I am happy. Otherwise, it depends on my mood.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
I always like people to be happy, it makes me happy. I am not a jealous person so seeing people being successful if anything simply inspires me to work harder so I too can enjoy that thrill.

Planet has too much sadness, anger and depression and I can never understand why observing people like that would make anyone feel better....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well, generally, if people are happy, I doubt they are going to be bothering me, so that's a plus. However, if it's say, a happy couple, and I'm lonely (like usual), I tend to just be jealous. :(

It's not that I want to take away what they have, I just want it too.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Does it make you happy when you see a happy couple in love, someone with a smile on their face, someone who has really cool toys/possessions? Or does it just make you wish you were them, or bring up some other negative feeling?

Personally, I love seeing other people happy and successful, and love helping people. I feel terrible when I see someone who is unhappy. It gives me anxiety/depression when I see people who are depressed or angry, but seeing happy people or making someone else happy helps it go away and reminds me that there's hope.
Successful? No! Because successful people are often unhappy. Once a person has the basic necessities of life, happiness is not dependent on income.

Happy? Are they really happy? Happiness seems to be very short-lived. Sometimes, I'm a very good actor pretending I'm happy. Most of us are. If we look sad and unhappy, we're not going to make many friends.

Love? No! If someone is intensely in love, good for them. But I know that instense love won't last forever. It may be all over next month. I've seen so many relationships that are farces. Unfaithfulness. A one-sided love. Sadly, I don't want love.

I do feel very sad when I see poverty. Most of us should be very happy we're living in the present age we are. I'm very thankful for that.

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
Sometimes. Prolly has to do with mood. If i'm jealous i try to remind myself i'm happy for them underneath the jealousy cuz i believe i really am.

·
PASTAMANIA BROTHER
441 Posts
It depends on if I think they deserve it. But generally yes it makes me happy. I doesn't brighten my mood or anything but I like to see joy and happiness instead of pain and sorrow. I would hate to get negative feelings toward that sort of thing. I do get a bit envious though. And it can make me feel down that I'm not happy like them. So I guess I just went all over the place with this post didn't I? lol, but hopefully you know what I mean.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I usually do end up feeling what others around me are feeling, so if other people are happy it makes me happy. Seeing happy couples though can make me jealous.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It depends on my mood. If I'm in a really down mood, then not much is going to make me happy. But generally speaking, yes I am happy to see others happy.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Most of the time, other people's happiness makes me happy too, unless i'm in a very very very bad mood

2,348 Posts
It also depends what brought on the happiness. A friend of mine recently moved back home to go back to school and she was happy (and sad too) about it. I was really happy for her that she is able to be near her family and further her education and do awesome things. It made me sad that she was leaving, but I was happy for her that she was going to grad school and near the family that she missed when she was in Chicago.

It makes me envious when I see people my age together. It does not make me happy. It makes me very very envious. I do not like how I feel when this happens.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
I like to see people I care about happy.

This does not stop me feeling jealous when other people have what I want, especially if I don't think they deserve it as much as I do.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I chose depends on mood.. but if the happy person is close to me, like family or partner, then it makes me happy, if its anyone else, its just annoying lol. I dont have much happiness right now. My family isnt very happy and I can never tell with my partner. I wish the closest people around me were more positive. It could really help me out.

·
Time Lord
178 Posts
deep down in that area where my heart and/or soul is supposed to be si that of a bitter old person....so no, their happiness does not make me happy lol

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
For the most part no because I'm rarely truely happy and it usually has nothing to do with other people when I am, though other peoples happiness can pick my mood up at times depending on the situation.

·
4 + 1 = MOO
1,410 Posts
When I see happy people, mainly a group of people socializing or a smiling couple, I get horribly depressed and then go on to wondering why I exist.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts