Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hearing other people eat really causes me anxiety. sharing a meal is a sort of intimate activity, and it causes me anxiety...

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,300 Posts
The family dinner was rarely done in my house so it does bother me most times, especially now that I have anxiety issues. I don't go to restaurants anymore & often eat very little when at a dinner with others. My anxiety often crushes my appetite

·
Gimme Sympathy
126 Posts
Not really, thankfully. Most of my social interactions surround food, so I don't really get nervous when eating in front of others.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Aside from my parents, yes. I'm always really uncomfortable and I'm afraid I'm going to choke or do something embarrassing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i hate eating with/near other people. at work i try to be in the break room by myself and if someone else comes in i stop eating and pretend to read a magazine or something

·
Banned
877 Posts
I use to hate eating in front of people (I could get ugly). I learned the proper table etiquette and now it doesn't bother me as much anymore. Of course when I'm rushing, this "table-manners" stuff goes out the window.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
If you don't eat like a cow or eat in some unique way, then you shouldn't be worried about how people perceive your eating habits.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don't eat like a cow or eat in some unique way, then you shouldn't be worried about how people perceive your eating habits.
this girl I was almost dating was so freaked out by my eating (apparently I drooled one time when I ate in front of her) that she could never eat with me again, and would get angry whenever I talked about food in front of her, even months later, I'm helping her with her homework, and the homework has you make up word problems. so I come up with a word problem. "the price of milk is $2.00." she freaks out, "NO Anything but food." thats when she told me about how gross I was that ONE time when I ate.....

how you eat has real consequences if your not careful.

I'm really not gross like that though cause no ones else ever said that to me, this girl is just crazy I think...

but yea

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Is drooling a normal habit for you when you eat? I think everyone has a bad eating experience at some point in their life, but overall if we're well mannered when we eat, then chances are the majority of our eating experiences will be pleasant ones, even if we aren't thinking about how we are eating.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I am not afraid of eating with others, but I still hate it and don't do it because of the eating sound(I can't really describe it in words) many people make,including most of the males in my family, really frustrate me and make me want to stab something. Some people like my grandpa are really bad at it, you can here the swallow, gulp,chewing, everything, drives me insane.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
The family dinner was rarely done in my house so it does bother me most times, especially now that I have anxiety issues. I don't go to restaurants anymore & often eat very little when at a dinner with others. My anxiety often crushes my appetite
Same here.
I avoid eating in front of people most of the time.
Today was the first bar-b-cue of the year in our house and while everyone else ate outside, I took my food to my room. Sad, really.

·
Loser
207 Posts
I'm afraid to eat in front of people, too, if they're strangers or persons of authority. I'm afraid to choke over food, let the cutlery fall, to smack, not to bring off scap my plate or looking stupid while eating.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I only get anxious when I'm eating a foreign food in front of other people and I don't know how I'm supposed to eat it. I wait for someone else to begin because, even though I would feel embarrassed to be told I'm eating it the wrong way, I would feel absolutely ridiculous asking. Hmm, I'll try to change how I feel about asking; writing it here makes my fear seem like the ridiculous thing, not asking about the food.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't eat nearly as much, not a fraction really. Going to a restaurant or eating at someone else's house is kind of a waste for me; I always leave hungry. When I was working, I'd arrive home famished, because I couldn't eat like I normally would at work. I think my anxiety, being in that high alert state all the time, gives me a high metabolism so I can really put away some food when I'm comfortable. I think sometimes people wonder if I'm anorexic because I have a hard time eating with others, but in reality I've never seen someone eat as much as I do, I'd just never pig out like that in front of people. At home I have a huge bowl that I like to eat out of to my heart's content. My kids call it the "pig trough." I'm sure I'll never get married again because I'd starve to death. :OD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts