Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
We all wear a mask.
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This doesn't really have anything to do with my anxiety so I thought that I would post this here.

I'm tired of only being relegated to jobs in about a mile radius of my home as I don't drive and walking only takes me about 24 minutes to reach my job.

So a few questions.

Does driving open up better opportunities in terms of work? How much better?

What were your job opportunities before and after you started driving?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It absolutely does, unless you live in a metropolitan area. In such cases, public transportation is often better.

I had to rush to get my license before my first job, which was about a 20 minute drive. They had offered the position to me on the spot, but I had to start the next week. Public transportation would have taken an hour each way, and it was inconvenient to get to from my place.

Other than that, I live close to San Francisco so most of the jobs I applied for would have been easy to get to via subway or bus. Driving and parking in the city sucks most of the time anyway, so I would prefer public transportation if I were to work there.

I remember one application process where I didn't have my license yet. They asked me for that info in an pre-interview questionnaire, and the hiring manager laughed in my face for not having one. Needless to say that I wasn't considered for that position any further, nor would I have wanted to pursue it after that.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yeah, because a lot of jobs want you to have a license so you can drive to meetings and stuff.. although that can get really annoying in itself. I got more calls for interviews after I got a license than before.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I 'd say the answer is yes, unless you happen to live in like Central London or something where everyone tales the tube to work for example.

I wish I could drive.
Failed my test a ridiculous number of times a few years ago and gave up ever since.

·
Person of Interest
481 Posts
I live in Miami, where the public transportation system is crap, so there are a lot of jobs I can't apply to that I could if I had a car and could drive.

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
Driving is another tool that can enhance your freedom to do more things, including different jobs.

I do wish; however, that those that can drive treat it more as a necessary luxury instead of a necessity. It's as if those that can drive suddenly lose all capacity to get around any other way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts