Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about y'all, but whenever I have a hangover, especially today, I go straight to my stash and smoke that mary jane. It always seems to help ALOT. You guys ever try blazing while going through withdrawal, or you think it might help? I really think it will...

But anyway, this is interestin and ur input is welcome! Thanks

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
Doubt it, weed doesn't exactly have GABAergic effects.

I'm actually surprised by the question though, didn't think there were chronic users. Before see a psychiatrist I had done just about every drug there is and I found that, for me anyways, cannabis was the WORST with regards to my social phobia and anxiety... made it like 100x worse.

·
Dan Dreamin
47 Posts
Yeah im the same, if im hungover or feel sick i light up a spliff or 2 and feel better for it, havnt came off the meds with it tho.

·
Banned
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doubt it, weed doesn't exactly have GABAergic effects.

I'm actually surprised by the question though, didn't think there were chronic users. Before see a psychiatrist I had done just about every drug there is and I found that, for me anyways, cannabis was the WORST with regards to my social phobia and anxiety... made it like 100x worse.
Well you are right about something, it can amplify the anxiety. I usually toke up after I have done all my work and work-outs for the day. At night when Conan or whatever is on, I blaze it up and it is fantastic. It might not have anything to do with gaba receptors but mj has a magical way of taking your mind off things. It has what Kat Williams calls, the "**** it" effect. The mind is a very powerful thing and if blazing keeps your mind away from withdrawal syptoms, maybe, just possibly it might be a huge withdrawal medication.

Anyone ever done this? Man, I would love to find that out

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
really? I mean I totally agree with you that weed makes anxiety 100x worse, but I would have thought that more potent psychedelics such as LSD would be way way worse for anxiety than weed.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Well you are right about something, it can amplify the anxiety. I usually toke up after I have done all my work and work-outs for the day. At night when Conan or whatever is on, I blaze it up and it is fantastic. It might not have anything to do with gaba receptors but mj has a magical way of taking your mind off things. It has what Kat Williams calls, the "**** it" effect. The mind is a very powerful thing and if blazing keeps your mind away from withdrawal syptoms, maybe, just possibly it might be a huge withdrawal medication.

Anyone ever done this? Man, I would love to find that out
A hangover and a withdrawl are two very different things, your "med of choice" may work for hangovers, however abrupt withdrawl particularly from long term and high dosage alcohol or benzodiazapine usage, can result in complications such as seizures, if not properly managed. Since marijuana has no effect upon the GABA receptors, it would most likely not work in the managment of abrubt withdrawl from a sedative hypnotic.

To put it simply, sedative hypnotic (alcohol, benzos, barbituates) withdrawl has a physical component aswell as a mental component. If indeed your theory is correct, marijuana would be dealing mainly with the mental components only. This however may indeed by beneficial to withdrawl from other types of medication.

·
Registered
676 Posts
All depends on the weed of course but I'd bet weed would help anyone with just about any kind of physical pain. Whether it would help with withdrawal anxiety would be unique to each individual.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
really? I mean I totally agree with you that weed makes anxiety 100x worse, but I would have thought that more potent psychedelics such as LSD would be way way worse for anxiety than weed.
I tolerated LSD kind of well. I mean it usually was depressing and made me somewhat more anxious, but nowhere near as extreme as with weed. A VERY bad mushroom trip (I was an idiot and reckless.... took way to much) kind of helped me identify some of my problems, but I've also been scared ****less of psychedelics since...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I tolerated LSD kind of well. I mean it usually was depressing and made me somewhat more anxious, but nowhere near as extreme as with weed. A VERY bad mushroom trip (I was an idiot and reckless.... took way to much) kind of helped me identify some of my problems, but I've also been scared ****less of psychedelics since...
I don't think I'd even bother trying psychedelics even if I were into drugs, I don't get the big hype around them, not that I could anyway considering I'm on remeron ( a potent 5HT2A antagonist) lol.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
Yeah... it's impossible to explain a psychedelic to somebody who has never tried them. But euphoria is dead on. All I can really say is that the visual and otherwise "hallucinogenic" effects are just secondary effects. There's no doubt that some people do it FOR the visuals, but that's kind of foolish

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Indeed, very little can describe what it feels like to change the parameters of one's very existence. I haven't even tried classical psychedelic 5-HT2A agonists, but they're not the only drugs with mind-altering effects...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It just seems like, that with a mind tool that powerful, it has the potential to go horribly wrong, if it turns into a bad trip, for a person already predisposed to an anxiety disorder.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Every day has the potential to go horribly wrong for someone with an anxiety disorder, but that doesn't mean it's good to avoid life. I suppose psychedelics aren't such a good idea though if you have anxiety. In any case, an adequate dose of benzo would calm a bad trip, or even the knowledge that you have the power to do this should be comforting. Alcohol should do much the same as benzos. If you don't mind losing all effects, mirtazapine is considered the best trip-killer available.

You could take something like an opioid with it to ensure it's always going in a positive direction, or MDMA, chronic SSRI dosing (despite a minor reduction in effects) or possibly agomelatine (should remove a lot of anxiety from a trip). I dunno, there are literally millions of options when poly-drug-using to get the best possible combination of effects. I was gonna suggest ketamine, but a combo such as ketamine + acid would redefine the word 'intense'...

Oh yeah, we aren't supposed to talk about rec. drugs here. Oops.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Every day has the potential to go horribly wrong for someone with an anxiety disorder, but that doesn't mean it's good to avoid life.
Thats absolutly true, however there are some inevitable disaters which are impossible to avoid, dropping a hit, on the other hand would usually be a choice.

mirtazapine is considered the best trip-killer available.
I have heard this theory, and it makes perfect sence, since mirtazapine is a potent 5HT2A antagonist. I'm not exactly sure what Kd value a 5HT2A antagonist would have to possess to block a trip fully though.
Also I'm curious, is there any physical proof or study or even anecdotal evidence that mirtazapine blocks the effects in practice though? Not that I don't beleive you, I've just never came across any.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Thats absolutly true, however there are some inevitable disaters which are impossible to avoid, dropping a hit, on the other hand would usually be a choice.
Good point.

I have heard this theory, and it makes perfect sence, since mirtazapine is a potent 5HT2A antagonist. I'm not exactly sure what Kd value a 5HT2A antagonist would have to possess to block a trip fully though.
Also I'm curious, is there any physical proof or study or even anecdotal evidence that mirtazapine blocks the effects in practice though? Not that I don't beleive you, I've just never came across any.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=388516

"Remeron(it was the instant disolve orange tic tac things) killed a 2c-t-4 trip quick. It s like an off switch. "

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
I definitely wouldn't suggest using LSD with a mental disorder except under medical supervision... which is all but impossible with the archaic drug laws we have.

I've had very bad experiences with it, bad enough that I don't think I'll ever be taking it again. But I've had good experiences with it too.

One interesting thing that might be worth noting is that in a very small, subpsychedelic dose, not enough to get any noticeable psychedelic effects, it made me a lot more motivated and... optimistic might be a good way of putting it. I don't know if anybody might know by what mechanism it does this, seems like it could show some promise for further research. I doubt long-term use of low-dose LSD would be effective though, as tolerance shoots through the roof every time you use it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts