Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since someone found out about my anxiety my whole life has been over analyzed by everyone around me trying to find things I do/did that are abnormal and call me out on them. It was like a chain reaction people told others about it without my permission and I'm pissed off about that! People treat me like a child and not an adult calling me stupid, and just getting angry they say I "need help" I'm crazy, when everyone gets mad that's normal. It's ruined my life because some people don't talk to me afraid I am nuts now, others think in stupid and uncool because they know I have some anxiety, my parents think its a reason to boss me around and try to treat me like a child forever stopping me from getting a normal life.

I'm so tired of it, nothing I say is ever taken the right way people make everything into something negative.

It feels hopeless because all of this is ruining my life and it's not me its other people I can't change, which means they'll continue to bring me down in life and there nothing I can do at this point. I can't get better because I need some stable support there for me to do that, I have none, so I'm regressing further.

Can anyone honestly say you are treated normally by people who know you have anxiety? Judging from numerous upsetting posts my guess is nobody is and what happened to me happened to them.

If I could cut contact with everyone I know I would do that happily just to start over in life.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
U could try councilling, they will listen to your views etc. Plus u can get a job, and try move away in time. I've no advice sorry :-(

·
Registered
27 Posts
You have to come to terms with the fact that anxiety, especially GAD and SAD, is extremely common. These people who call you stupid or crazy are just plain ignorant. You obviously don't lack intelligence, because you come across quite well in your writing that's both eloquent yet concise.

I think it's common for people with anxiety to feel different from others who aren't suffering this, and I'm sure this perpetuates paranoia within us. How do you know that people are actively seeking out your "faults" and then labelling this in relation to your anxiety condition? Anxiety or Social anxiety does not make someone stupid or less inept. You have to tell yourself this, then your perceptions of how others are viewing you may change. We all make mistakes, say stupid things or react oddly, but this is all part of being human.

These people who 'treat you like you're a child". If you feel this way, then say to them: I'm not a child. I have anxiety, not retardation. Sorry to be blunt, but I feel quite strongly about this, as I used to feel the same way. Hell, sometimes I do feel like people are treating me differently- treading on egg shells with the things they say. Honestly, this used to bother me, but now, not so much. You can change your perceptions, but you can't change that of others. People always judge.

So my advice: Don't ponder on how people are juding you. If they treat you differently, then that's up to them. Like I said, it's just plain ignorance and I'm sure that a lot of it comes down to insecurity about their own selves :)

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have to come to terms with the fact that anxiety, especially GAD and SAD, is extremely common. These people who call you stupid or crazy are just plain ignorant. You obviously don't lack intelligence, because you come across quite well in your writing that's both eloquent yet concise.

I think it's common for people with anxiety to feel different from others who aren't suffering this, and I'm sure this perpetuates paranoia within us. How do you know that people are actively seeking out your "faults" and then labelling this in relation to your anxiety condition? Anxiety or Social anxiety does not make someone stupid or less inept. You have to tell yourself this, then your perceptions of how others are viewing you may change. We all make mistakes, say stupid things or react oddly, but this is all part of being human.

These people who 'treat you like you're a child". If you feel this way, then say to them: I'm not a child. I have anxiety, not retardation. Sorry to be blunt, but I feel quite strongly about this, as I used to feel the same way. Hell, sometimes I do feel like people are treating me differently- treading on egg shells with the things they say. Honestly, this used to bother me, but now, not so much. You can change your perceptions, but you can't change that of others. People always judge.

So my advice: Don't ponder on how people are juding you. If they treat you differently, then that's up to them. Like I said, it's just plain ignorance and I'm sure that a lot of it comes down to insecurity about their own selves :)
I've been flat out told by others about faults. One example, I went to college for computers and didn't graduate, I couldn't afford the required materials to complete assignments, I was told I didn't graduate because I'm retarded my "problem" means I can't do college. I talked about working and people say to be stock in store, I said I can do that but I need better paying job than that, it's not for me, and then I'm told that's all I can do so if better accept I'll never get anything else. All this stuff is false but people go around talking about me this way and others believe them, and when I try to correct them they say I don't know what I'm talking about.

See, it's more complicated than you think to fix, and they literally ruin my life even when I stand up for myself!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been flat out told by others about faults. One example, I went to college for computers and didn't graduate, I couldn't afford the required materials to complete assignments, I was told I didn't graduate because I'm retarded my "problem" means I can't do college. I talked about working and people say to be stock in store, I said I can do that but I need better paying job than that, it's not for me, and then I'm told that's all I can do so if better accept I'll never get anything else. All this stuff is false but people go around talking about me this way and others believe them, and when I try to correct them they say I don't know what I'm talking about.

See, it's more complicated than you think to fix, and they literally ruin my life even when I stand up for myself!
Wow it sounds like you need to meet some new people. I mean people telling you, you won't do better than filling shelves! You know it's not true!.

I think what's happening here is, they obviously know otherwise; they just exploit you because of your anxious tendencies. This is definitely a form of bullying, there's no doubt about that. Like I mentioned before, they're obviously just insecure about their own selves. If they were happy people, they wouldn't be putting you down. Don't for one second believe that you're stupid. I know you're not, you know you're not and believe it or not, these idiots know you're not, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts