Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one suffer from depression with SA? If so, does a situation usually trigger it for you? Also, how do you handle this. Certain situations do trigger depression for me. It usually last about a week or two depending on what happened and I want to try and get control of this (trying without meds for now) because it gets pretty bad.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I suffer from depression every evening and nothing that I can identify triggers it.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Yes, and what a pain in the *** it is. I have severe cases of both SA and depression, and wow - what a double team it is. I don't know how I'm still existing.

The most depression-inducing situations for me are when I get left out of things or when I'm flat-out ignored because it reinforces the feeling that I simply don't fit in with people and that no one really cares whether or not I'm around.

I seem to be in a constant state of depression, but those are the situations that spike it most.

I don't handle it too well when it gets really bad. I'll wind up shutting myself in and sleeping time away.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm not sure what came first for me, probably social anxiety and general anxiety coupled with other personality, inferiority and temperement issues and then depression hitched a ride.

I still can't pinpoint what triggers my depression, sometimes it could just be chemical factors at play (I take meds for this...altho it doesn't do much). Other times it must be the severe negative self talk, over analysing of everything and avoidant personality/SA that sets it off.

It definately is cyclical for me though and seems to happen every 4-6 weeks without fail. When I'm depressed (in a state of clinical depression that is), I sleep alot and don't eat much and pretty much shut myself down. I also find this slows me down and also increases my anxiety levels too. Other times I just feel anxious for no reason and can't control it (even though I know to do slow breathing and rational thinking) and that along with negative self talk seems to screw me up.

The other thing I find is that I am more anxious in the morning and absolutely hate waking up early because of this (anytime before 8 or 9am)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yes, and what a pain in the *** it is. I have severe cases of both SA and depression, and wow - what a double team it is. I don't know how I'm still existing.

The most depression-inducing situations for me are when I get left out of things or when I'm flat-out ignored because it reinforces the feeling that I simply don't fit in with people and that no one really cares whether or not I'm around.

I seem to be in a constant state of depression, but those are the situations that spike it most.

I don't handle it too well when it gets really bad. I'll wind up shutting myself in and sleeping time away.
Wow, it's like I'm reading my own thoughts :eek:

Scary stuff!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get depressed whenever I'm bored, and when you're sitting at home all day with nothing to do, you get bored pretty quickly..
Thats pretty much me.... I don't really have a life. I have no job, no place to go, I just moved to a new state so I know no one and the only thing I have to look forward to is my husband coming home from work... God my life is just like a dog's life...how sad

·
Registered
88 Posts
My doctor told me that they tend to go hand in hand when I asked about it. I think mine tends to be situational (not entirely sure what that means), and I know some days I wish the day would hurry up and come to an end. Getting out of bed sucks. So yeah, I guess it can be true.

I know this will sound stupid, but I got depressed one day just grocery shopping. I was okay and went to being really miserable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I go through depression episodes every once in awhile. It gets triggered usually when somebody leaves me or backstabbes me (which happens quite often unfortunantly) and can last for several months...
Im in a depression right now and have been for about two months now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thats pretty much me.... I don't really have a life. I have no job, no place to go, I just moved to a new state so I know no one and the only thing I have to look forward to is my husband coming home from work... God my life is just like a dog's life...how sad
Ahhh I hadn't thought of it that way, but my life is just like a dog's too. :no

I'm not really sure what triggers mine but I'll have weeks where I'm ok with how things are. Then I wake up the next day and something's changed and I'm miserable about everything around me. I'm having one of those weeks right now.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I have bouts of depression but have been doing okay with it lately. Not really sure why. There is much I dont understand of SA triggers and depression triggers.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ahhh I hadn't thought of it that way, but my life is just like a dog's too. :no

I'm not really sure what triggers mine but I'll have weeks where I'm ok with how things are. Then I wake up the next day and something's changed and I'm miserable about everything around me. I'm having one of those weeks right now.
I can totally relate to that :yes

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Seems like the two kind of go hand in hand. I don't even know how to separate SA from depression anymore. Waking up triggers my depression. Eating triggers it. Putting one foot in front of another triggers my SA and depression. What am I doing? Just walking. Breathing? Why am I doing that? I wish I could go somewhere. Why? I don't know. I'd only want to be alone again as soon as I did.

I'm depressed. Or am I? Maybe this is normal and what everyone says is normal is what's really artificial. I'm not really at rock bottom. I should be but for some weird reason I've never been able to figure out, I'm not.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
It's kind of like the chicken and the egg question for me. I mean i'm not sure if depression makes me socially anxious o'r social anxiety makes me depressed, i'd guess that it's the latter.

·
Meow Meow Meow
141 Posts
Yes I suffer from depression. Sometimes it just comes without anything that I know of triggering it.

Little things can trigger depression for me. Lets not even talk about the bigger things. For me, the SA triggers the depression a lot of the time nowadays.

·
Registered
20 Posts
deprression and anxiety

I sufer from depression and anxiety. The depression came first which started to turn me into a recluse and then the anxiety came as a result. Lately, I've been becoming depressed, though, because of my anxiety in social situations. I'm not really sure what to do about it. I keep trying medications, not a lot of help, though. But I have a good therapist and that helps a lot. I understand exactly how you feel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
*raises hand*

nothing really triggers it. I just am.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Yeah, I thought mine was bi-polar but then I met someone who actually had bi-polar and I discovered it wasn't bi-polar, I was just severly depressed and socially lacking. I have depression spells, they come and go. Sometimes I feel this really surreal absent feeling and other times I'm just alright. I think they both kind of trigger from eachother. Depression hurts dude!

Someone told me to get more sun, so I did and it felt awesome.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Like somebody mentioned, different mental illnesses come together in a package and live in you. Seems like there is no strict boundaries between the various mental illnesses.

I have depression, generalized anxiety, social anxiety, ocd and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Some others may have a different combination of illnesses.

I dont think you can say that depression triggers SA or SA triggers depression.
instead, if you have them both, then they were both within you to begin with.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts