Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-without trying to sell you something,get some kind of status in return,or wait until you pause and they can talk? Sometimes I just want someone to truly listen. No one does that much in our society anymore.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean to truly listen? If directly injecting your thoughts into someone else is the absolute best, and ignoring you is with worst, where does truly listening sit in between those two?
People that have a real interest in you and are not just "boomeranging" there own thoughts or viewing you strictly as an obstacle to expressing themselves.- People that will slow down from the crazy speed of this world to notice you. Those that can pull their heads out of the latest entertainment show,internet craze or celebrity scandal to spare you a little of their time and attention.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I know I do it for other people. I mentally guide myself to just because...I don't know...feels like what I should do. But I don't know if others do that for me. I've never really thought about it. I know I've felt like no one's listening to me at times.

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
My mother never listens to me. I have to stand their listening to all her problems, and it usually is problems at work. She doesn't give crap what is going on with me. It wears me out being around her. Thank god she lives 26 miles away so I don't have to deal with her much. My dad never talks to her much. He just goes off doing his projects outside. So pretty much this forum is where I can express myself.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Nope, I am just supposed to be there for everyone else, listen to them and then agree with them and smile and go away. I have a few friends that listen, but if they disagrees I am supposed to instantly see their point of view and agree and/or change. I get really irritated and have noticed I share less and less because - why bother if you are always going to be wrong and if your thoughts and ideas only push people further away or offend them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
There are a few people who actually seem to truly listen, but I find then that I become very anxious and get the frozen brain syndrome, you know unable to put my thoughts into words, feeling like my head is shaking and my lips are numb and my tongue way too big for my mouth, that kinda stuff -- though I have a lot of respect for those people, they make me very nervous and I'll often avoid them if I can. I've always panicked when I feel the attention is on me I guess is why. Also, if they really listen, I feel that they must have some degree of respect for me, and that creates a certain degree of pressure then to live up to their opinion of me. :O/

·
Registered
59 Posts
People that have a real interest in you and are not just "boomeranging" there own thoughts or viewing you strictly as an obstacle to expressing themselves.- People that will slow down from the crazy speed of this world to notice you. Those that can pull their heads out of the latest entertainment show,internet craze or celebrity scandal to spare you a little of their time and attention.
My god, you explained it perfectly. That's just about how everyone is, even I do it. People throw their thoughts at you, generally not even caring if you are actually listening. I wish I could find someone that actually wanted to listen.. when I find the ones that say they want to hear from me, I generally they think are saying it out of politeness. My god how I hate politeness, it should die and let us all be brutally honest to each other. Things would be so much easier.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nope. I mean i dont know if i ever allow anyone to listen. I know my parents care but they never listen to me. I only have a few close friends but we arent really close to "talk" i guess the typical guy relationship. I do have one friend that is a girl who i talk to a lot though so i guess she does listen to me.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Sometimes. My mother speaks over me though, and my dad has always refuted every point I attempt to make, but I guess over time that has prompted me to bolster the strength of my arguments in a way.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Listen - no. Tolerate - yes.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
I always listen to others, but I don't exactly have people I can confide in to talk to. I actually just recently broke down about this. I was so upset with everything and wanted someone to talk to, but I couldn't think of anyone.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
-without trying to sell you something,get some kind of status in return,or wait until you pause and they can talk? Sometimes I just want someone to truly listen. No one does that much in our society anymore.
I've noticed that too. You can tell the difference when people are really listening as opposed to only pretending to. The ones who really irritate me are those who love the sound of their own voice and expect you to hang on their every word ... and then switch off the minute you start talking. You know exactly what they're thinking: "Oh God, they're saying something. :roll When is it going to be my turn?!"

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been told many times that i am a fantastic listener :). People always seem to confide in me for some reason, i'm not really sure why. Not that i don't enjoy it, i like helping people out, i guess it helps me take my mind off my own problems.

As for people truly listening to me, i don't talk to people about my problems...ever. Most of the time i just feel like they don't need to carry around someone else's burden, or they won't really give a damn about it so i don't bother.

I'm pretty sure that i've never actually talked to anyone about my emotional problems.

not really sure how i feel about that...

·
Registered
334 Posts
No one ever listens to me. It's gotten to the point where I'm fairly certain that I could strip naked, set myself on fire, and run down the street screaming and nobody would notice.

·
Banned
322 Posts
Sometimes some people listen to me.

More times most people don't listen to me.

Most times there is nobody to listen.

In past situations, I have been in "friendship" groups where I was utterly ignored and eventually forced out, yet there are other times when I have been in small groups where everyone listened to me. Depends on the situation, the people, the context and how I am feeling at the time.

·
Banned
322 Posts
I'm fairly certain that I could strip naked, set myself on fire, and run down the street screaming and nobody would notice.
I am glad I am not the only one to have this notion, I feel slightly less insane :b

1 - 17 of 17 Posts