Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
fellow human
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can finally get through Claire de Lune with few mistakes, and I'm wondering what I should play next? Are there any other songs that are as moving and crowd pleasing as this? I really love the peaks and valleys and also the melody.
But now I'm having a hard time finding a song I feel is worth putting the effort into learning.. All the ones I've found are really more bittersweet or downright depressing. Although bittersweet is good too.. like in Gymnopedie...

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to jazz, modern, classical, whatever.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
The Peanuts theme is fun and instantly recognizable.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Consolation No.3 by Franz liszt

or

Traumerei by Robert Schumann

These are very nice pieces. I'm no pianist myself, but I suspect these may be easier to play than Clair de lune.

·
fellow human
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know some Scott Joplin actually.. I really love playing Solace.
Though, i'm not familiar with Consolation or Tramareri, so I'll probably look into those. :boogie

I just started playing again after a hiatus of 7 years (college)... and for some reason I feel like I'm a better player now.. More life experience I suppose.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
I know some Scott Joplin actually.. I really love playing Solace.
I love that also! I mostly love melancholy stuff:
  • Vince Guaraldi - Christmas Time is Here (the sad-sounding Peanuts Christmas song)
  • Vangelis - Memories of Green (cool piano song from Bladerunner)
  • Chopin - Waltz in C# minor Op.64 No.2
  • Chopin - Waltz in A minor (op. posth.)
  • Rachmaninov - the start of Piano Concerto No 2 in C minor
  • and lots and lots of Bach!
Although Bach does have some energetic pieces I love to (try) to play -
  • Goldberg Variations 26, 28, 29
  • Well-Tempered Clavier I, Preludes 1, 2, 5, 10 (esp the end)
  • Well-Tempered Clavier II, Prelude 3
  • French Suite No. 5 in G Major, 7. Gigue
  • French Suite No. 4 in E flat major, Allemande
  • Partita No. 1 in B flat major, 3. Corrente
  • Partita No. 1 in B flat major, 6. Giga
Have you tried Beethoven - Sonata No 8 in C minor op 13 'Pathetique'; 2. Adagio cantabile?
Really beautiful, not too melancholy. I haven't tried it yet.

I wish I could play better, but my fingers are kinda klutzy. I keep hoping that if I work at it enough over the years it'll get smoother. Like maybe by the time I'm 60, heh.

·
fellow human
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Pancake! That list looks really exciting and challenging, and the first song is actually one i'm working on right now! (those large chords really resonate with me).

I'm always stumbling over keys too... I was cursed with short-ish fingers (well.. I guess one would say "normal" sized fingers, not "spider-like" from some youtube videos i've seen, which look very unusual i might add..)

you made my day, thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts