Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I do on a few other websites. Hadn't heard of that site, I'll join just now, if you are up for a game, post your chess username when you get a chance :yes

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I love chess. I'm on chesscube

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I signed up for Chess.com. It seems like a great free site, thanks for the heads-up OP. Anyone feels like a game of Blitz or Correspondence chess, my username on Chess.com is (unsurprisingly) FoldedEdge :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correspondence_chess

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
What does this have to do with being a geek.
I think it's because it's a game being played online. Rather on a physical board.
The word geek has been around for a long, long time - once upon a time geeks for instanced played board games, D&D and Games workshops table top type gaming before the rise of Personal Computers and consoles. You gotta love young folks thinking they invented a word (or the world :D)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, I play on Chess.com. I'm not that good at it though; I haven't properly studied chess theory. The best I've gotten was around 1550 standard ranking but now I'm back down to around 1400 standard, and 1250 blitz.

·
raWr
142 Posts
Oh man I am so horrible at chess, have even gone through beginner's books + all the samples and challenges, etc. I make dumb moves, don't recognize positions. I think I had an account on a chess site once. Maybe I could get involved again?

·
ineffective immediately
1,391 Posts
Yeah, chess.com is easily my favorite chess site that I've played on. I had a pay membership there at one point (really the only site I felt justified it) but I haven't been playing as much lately so I let it lapse. Anyway, my username there is trogy and I still use it as a free account.

If anyone's a novice that wants to get better I strongly recommend just playing against humans, online or off. Your play strength will get a major boost pretty quickly if you just get some experience under your belt. Don't play against computers, it isn't the same. Also don't bother with chess books in the beginning, or maybe just look at a couple openings you see frequently. Just matching up against real opponents on a regular basis will tighten up your game a lot, and then if you want to you can start seriously studying it. Along the way you'll also figure out if you really like chess or not.

·
Sigh.
9,313 Posts
I played for a while. Turns out I'm super rusty at the game.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'd love to start playing chess, but I wouldn't be a good at it, I'm too dumb :/
I'm not intelligent at all (nor am I good at chess) but I do love playing the game. You don't need to be Einstein to enjoy or be good at chess. Give it a go :yes

Yes, I play on Chess.com. I'm not that good at it though; I haven't properly studied chess theory. The best I've gotten was around 1550 standard ranking but now I'm back down to around 1400 standard, and 1250 blitz.
That's s pretty good rating IMHO. I've been playing online on and off for a good few years and the best I've reached on other sites was 1400 but I spend most of my time around 1250 - 1300. Don't be so harsh on yourself!

A few months we were thinking about organizing a tournament. Maybe if enough interest is shown we can give it a try again.

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f24/you-guys-play-chess-953833/
Hadn't seen this, sounds good to me. I'll add my name right after this. :D

I used to play all the time but haven't for a long time now. I could easily beat all of my friends and people at school playing casually but if I played someone who actually knows chess theory and openings I would get destroyed.
I haven't spent anytime reading or learning chess theory (this may be just one part of why I'm pretty crap lol) but playing something you enjoy is a good way to spend some time if you ask me.

·
Sea of clouds.
223 Posts
I totally love this thread. When do you guys (and gals) usually play?

I haven't played chess in the longest time so if someone's looking for an easy win, I'm your guy. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts