Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically im failing at finding a job, every time i get a call back or mail saying we like ur cv, but u have no experience so its a no.

getting sick of this so decided maybe an apprenticeship would be good for me to get experience...

i just wanna know the basics of it, looking into doing a business or admin or IT apprenticeship, since this relates to my gcses and a levels.

how do u get onto an apprenticeship, is it like a job, do u have to go through an interview to get onto one or do they give it straight away?

how long does it last, how many hours involved, how much is the pay?

if anyone knows anything, that would be great help, thanks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I went through a pre apprenticeship class so I can give you some advice. You should go to your local union hall and ask them about joining. You have to take a test about basic math/reading skills and you do have to go for an interview. As long as you pass the test the interview shouldn't be much of a problem.

From there on you get paid as you train, depending on the job, the training could take around 4 years but after that you start getting really good pay and benefits. I think you start with 9 dollars an hour after all the benefits/taxes are taken out of your paycheck.

Hope this helped somewhat.

.... and if you change your mind about an apprenticeship, have you considered the military, maybe like the air force?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I didn't even know anything like what Owl Eyes mentioned existed. Any links?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went through a pre apprenticeship class so I can give you some advice. You should go to your local union hall and ask them about joining. You have to take a test about basic math/reading skills and you do have to go for an interview. As long as you pass the test the interview shouldn't be much of a problem.

From there on you get paid as you train, depending on the job, the training could take around 4 years but after that you start getting really good pay and benefits. I think you start with 9 dollars an hour after all the benefits/taxes are taken out of your paycheck.

Hope this helped somewhat.

.... and if you change your mind about an apprenticeship, have you considered the military, maybe like the air force?
thanks, but live in england, so think the process will be kinda different.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After 2 years studying mechanics at college I looked into motor trade related ones last year. The programmes lasted 2-3 years depending on the company and the pay for most of them was only £95 a week!! The nearest garages that were offering placements were about 10 miles away though so decided against enrolling for one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts