Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every damn time I go to a class or doctor's appointment or anywhere I have to sit stationary around people for an extended period of time I sweat. More specifically, my palms, feet, lower back, and groin sweat. When I come home and take off my clothes, my socks are usually soaked and my underwear is as well. Something else interesting though, this happens when I am playing video games even when by myself, or thinking about a past or future event that I am anxious and/or frustrated about. Also, I remember it happened while studying alone for an upcoming exam. I guess its my perfectionist attitude that I must do and act absolutely perfect and I strive so hard for it that it taxes my arousal centers. I know perfection doesn't exist. I thought I made headway in realizing that I am fooling myself to think I or anyone can really do anything perfectly. I guess I probably fooled myself into believing that I was getting better but apparently my body reactions are telling me otherwise. Cognitively, I really feel I am getting much better at looking at things rationally and honestly do not feel as stressed and nervous around others as I used to. My body is still, unfortunately, giving the same old stress response time after time. Can anybody relate or have any suggestions on how to calm these stress reactions down? Anyone ever use bio or nuero-feedback to help with this?

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
Sometimes I wake up drenched in sweat and I usually think it is because of a bad dream but I don't what I am dreaming about in order to sweat so much.
Same thing happens after a rollercoaster. Maybe it is the body's method of dealing with extreme stress by cooling itself down as the body heat has risen to excessive temperatures? I'd say a lot of water if it can be that simple, otherwise I have no idea.

·
Registered
153 Posts
yes im still like that sometimes, usually around very attractive women tho but anytime you sweat its because of some lingering fears that you have developed over the years

when im nervous my forehead sweats and i hate it, its not nearly as bad as it was before but i still get like that

the only thing i could think of is if you somehow get to the point where you dont care what anyone thinks of you at all then thats probly the only way for it to stop

·
Registered
21 Posts
Job interviews are the worst, I usually can feel it coming on as I walk from my car into the building. Then it's all downhill from there. It gets even worse when the person interviewing me notices that Im pouring sweat. That just makes me even more self-conscious and embarrassed.

However, I just had an interview the other day but coated my forehead in antiperspirant deodorant beforehand and it seemed to work. I wasn't drenched in sweat at all. I know it's just a band aid solution but it seems to work in preplanned social situations.

·
Banned
36 Posts
I have the same problem. It's a ****ty positive feedback loop that i'm trying to get rid of. I have a post in the medication section with some good advice. Also, my friend is a pharmacist and claims the anticholinergic drug called glycopyrrolate will help. I might give it a shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts