Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quoting Wikipedia 'Intrusive thoughts are unwelcome involuntary thoughts, images, or unpleasant ideas that may become obsessions, are upsetting or distressing, and can be difficult to manage or eliminate'.

Does anyone get this? I have had this before it seems to come and go through stages. I will give you an example how it works. Using random example as I don't have a cat:

You might absolutely adore your cat. One day you randomly think what would happen if I kicked the cat. You know you would never seriously do it but after thinking about it the thought keeps coming into your mind and then you might think a few days later about think about scratching the cat. After you have thought it you feel guilty but then you think it again a because you are trying not to think about it and the more you stress the more the thoughts come. The truth is that you would probably never harm the cat because you are not that type of person but you still cant shake the stupid thoughts and because you have had those thoughts you find it hard to be normal with the cat. Then once you have stopped obsessing something a month later, everything is back to normal and you stop thinking it until 6 months later or start obsessing about something else.

I know in my case I would never hurt anyone or do anything terrible but it does make me feel guilty.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Quoting Wikipedia 'Intrusive thoughts are unwelcome involuntary thoughts, images, or unpleasant ideas that may become obsessions, are upsetting or distressing, and can be difficult to manage or eliminate'.

Does anyone get this? I have had this before it seems to come and go through stages. I will give you an example how it works. Using random example as I don't have a cat:

You might absolutely adore your cat. One day you randomly think what would happen if I kicked the cat. You know you would never seriously do it but after thinking about it the thought keeps coming into your mind and then you might think a few days later about think about scratching the cat. After you have thought it you feel guilty but then you think it again a because you are trying not to think about it and the more you stress the more the thoughts come. The truth is that you would probably never harm the cat because you are not that type of person but you still cant shake the stupid thoughts and because you have had those thoughts you find it hard to be normal with the cat. Then once you have stopped obsessing something a month later, everything is back to normal and you stop thinking it until 6 months later or start obsessing about something else.

I know in my case I would never hurt anyone or do anything terrible but it does make me feel guilty.
Part of anxiety. Yep.....

We have to retrain our minds not to dwell and actually filter out the thoughts that we can do something about versus the ones that we cannot do anything about.

A lot of the thoughts are just scary that try and derail us or distract us.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am so glad it's not just me. I used to think I was going mad until I did some research on it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I was just having some intrusive thoughts when I saw this post. Happens all the time. Memories of when you were insulted or humiliated or pushed around and you were too scared to stand up for yourself...those memories stick with you throughout the years. Very hard to shake.

·
Nobody cares.
32 Posts
I've been having these A LOT lately and I didn't know what it was exactly, I thought it was just paranoia, but now that I read this post I actually feel a bit more relieved (now I can do some research on this as well :)). It's the worst part of my anxiety atm 'cause I feel really bad.

·
Lover of Cats
9 Posts
Memories of when you were insulted or humiliated or pushed around and you were too scared to stand up for yourself...those memories stick with you throughout the years. Very hard to shake.
I cringe every time. When I was 13, I was excited for Halloween night because my mom gave me the okay to wear lipstick and blush with my costume (not a hooker, Lol! gypsy). This was an accomplishment for me because I didn't feel pretty like the other girls. My family went to a Halloween bash at the YMCA, and I had a blast and thought I looked gorgeous (via the power of suggestion, I now realize), and I liked that I'd be able to wear it to school before I had to bathe it off. The morning after went well, until the rush for first hour when an older girl shoved past me on my way up the stairs and said "I hate it when slow wh*res make me late to class" and her friend laughed and made me drop my books. I was shocked.
Of course, I now had to march up and down the stairs after everyone was up to collect my books, and but I went straight to the counselor and sobbed to her. I'd never been called that before, never even had a boyfriend. When I was done, I went to the bathroom and rubbed every last bit of makeup off my face til I felt raw. What should have been an exciting glimpse into womanhood turned into an incident (less than that, I word!) that prevented me from wearing makeup til my junior hear of high school.

·
Registered
36 Posts
All the time. When im by myself these thoughts will often pop up and I will say something bad to myself like "your so stupid!" out loud. Sucks when it happends

·
Registered
61 Posts
I do have intrusive thoughts. Sometimes I will automatically imagine stabbing myself or hurting myself. Even though I know that I have no desire or impulse to injure myself, the thoughts still sometimes come unbidden. I told my therapist about these disturbing thoughts and he said that I don't need to be afraid of them or guilty about them. He said that just because we have thoughts, doesn't make them true. He encouraged me not to confuse my thoughts with reality.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Yes. The slightest things that are not even relevant will cause my mind to think of gore and violence. It actually really makes me feel uncomfortable.

The other day my friend was cutting veggies and I could not stop thinking about her cutting off her fingers, or like going psychotic and cutting every limb of her. And no it does not resemble any resentment towards her!

And a few days ago as well I couldn't stop imagining someone who is very close to me being strapped in a chair having their eyeballs poked into their socket slowly and painfully.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
I get them rarely now but I used to have them all the time.

When I was a kid with my parents out driving, I'd suddenly get this tingling feeling in my head and I thought I was going to be shot in the head. I'd move in my seat or even bob down for a moment, it was so weird. This went on for about 2 years, Yikes. :um

Another time, I was bitten by a dog while playing in a park. After I kept having these thoughts that I had rabies. I wasn't sick or anything, the bite was fairly minor but I couldn't get this thought out of my head, it lasted for a few days but I've never forgotten it.

I've also had these intrusive thoughts when cooking in the kitchen, using knives. I would have weird thoughts like I would stab someone for no reason. Bizarre! :um

I am not violent at all and have never understood why I had these thoughts. I'm relieved to read it happens to others, I've never spoken about this to anyone.

·
Hi! :)
254 Posts
Yeah, I get those. Mine are more so forbidden/out of character words rather than actions.

They can make me feel really bad.

There is apparently a Fiction book about a girl who has Intrusive thoughts. I haven't read it, but it'd be interesting to see what she's thinking.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I talk to myself a lot and get these thoughts too. They come so frequently that it doesnt make me feel that bad anymore unless focus on one of them and actually think out the thought more in depth. I wonder if normal people get these thoughts.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
If something is really dangerous, I'll have the urge to do it and I can't get it out of my mind. I learned in therapy that you can stop these thoughts by saying, "stop thought!"

1 - 20 of 48 Posts