Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm strong but it is hard

I've just went by three movies and three restaurants and couldn't get myself to go in and feel comfortable. I ended up here at a take-out Chinese. I'm know that it isn't a big deal but I'm glad that I'm at least at a take-out place. Has anyone over came this anxiety...yet?

·
Human
28 Posts
I've just went by three movies and three restaurants and couldn't get myself to go in and feel comfortable. I ended up here at a take-out Chinese. I'm know that it isn't a big deal but I'm glad that I'm at least at a take-out place. Has anyone over came this anxiety...yet?
I'll go to movies alone, I just decided if there's a movie I want to see I'm going to see it. Plus it helps that it's dark in there so it's not that obvious to other people that I'm there alone. Restaurants.... I have eaten alone inside a restaurant but it feels too weird to be sitting there alone... it probably doesn't bother anyone else but I feel really out of place.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
I tend to be highly distrustful of people, but if I've known them for a year or 2, that distrust wears off. I know I'm out of place on this forums because I'm in the middle of the spectrum a little bit. I'm also catch-22, since I don't want to post my problems on here since either people won't understand, or they will and then scoff at me for wasting forum space with a useless post. So yeahhh..

·
Registered
67 Posts
I tend to be highly distrustful of people, but if I've known them for a year or 2, that distrust wears off. I know I'm out of place on this forums because I'm in the middle of the spectrum a little bit. I'm also catch-22, since I don't want to post my problems on here since either people won't understand, or they will and then scoff at me for wasting forum space with a useless post. So yeahhh..
I don't think anyone would scoff at you or your problems on this forum. I don't post too much info, always afraid that a co-worker or family member would figure its me on this forum. You should share your concerns, even if no one responds, its good to just let it out.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
I don't think anyone would scoff at you or your problems on this forum. I don't post too much info, always afraid that a co-worker or family member would figure its me on this forum. You should share your concerns, even if no one responds, its good to just let it out.
Yeah, if I'm feeling extremely helpless and have no care in the world what I do, I'll post, but can't post about my issues without feeling some intense guilt and/or shame, that my problems are just wasting everyone's time when others have real problems that need more help. Which is one thing I discovered about myself this morning...I never put myself up front because of this mindset, and always feel I'm taking care of others first before me.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Yes, I do feel out of place. Tonight, I was in biology class and we had to get into groups of three and I turned and asked this girl if I could join her and her boyfriend in a group and she looked like she didn't want me to be in the group but she said yes. I was in their group before and we did ok, we got along and her boyfriend didn't mind that I asked to be in the group. At one point toward the end of class, she was staring at me and I smiled at her and looked down, she is nice to me but I think she is sick of me being in her group again, next time I will have to get in someone else's group. That is one example of me feeling out of place. I went to church this past Sunday and I felt out of place when it was time to leave and when I said hello to some people I knew when leaving, one woman I said hi too, she answered but only when I tapped her arm, she wouldn't have spoken otherwise. Her daughter didn't speak either. Some of the people I spoke to were very nice but others' weren't as nice, I guess it can go either way though, I am not as nice as I could be at times due to feeling nervous so I come across as cold instead of warm and friendly.

·
Credible Hulk
1,775 Posts
Ditto. I instantly assume that everyone just wants me to go away as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I do. I guess that's just how I feel anywhere, though.
I used to always feel out of place, not so much anymore, guess because I am not in any situations to cause that feeling. I have no friends really, I don't hang out or go anywhere, so... :)

I don't feel out of place here, just having some trouble connecting/making friends :hs

·
Banned
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used to always feel out of place, not so much anymore, guess because I am not in any situations to cause that feeling. I have no friends really, I don't hang out or go anywhere, so... :)

I don't feel out of place here, just having some trouble connecting/making friends :hs
Yeah, I don't go many places, either. I also don't really connect too well online or offline. I wish things were different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Feeling out of place 24/7

Hi there Y'all ---
I wonder if it has to do with modern society and different classes or statuses.
My being Deaf and fluent in American Sign Language in a 99.9% dominantly speaking world makes it very difficult to socialize with people.
I'm surprised that some hearing people who speak the same language can still have a difficult time relating but then again most people are carrying extra non-necessary filters - judging people before getting to really know them.

The older I get, the harder it is for me to mingle with my own peers. I notice I find very young or very old people who open up with me and chat. I'm either too poor, too fat, too Deaf, too oral, too weird, too whatever (fill in the blank).
Makes one wonder what one has to do in order to honestly connect in a fun safe manner with people just to socialize and why is everything is so expensive to have fun?!

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Well, I've felt out of place here for over 2 years. I think many people here will be glad to see me go but hey, I'm still here. Sometimes, even I wonder why:blank...
That's not exactly true.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts