Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I feel so stressed and unhappy I want to pack a small case and run away. Where to, I have no idea.

I feel so overburdened and overwhelmed. I don't want to be responsible for anyone else anymore.

It is so weird that my husband says he is totally at ease and relaxed since he lost his job a year ago. I said don't you worry about the bills? He said he doesnt and he doesn't care.

OTOH I am stressed all the time about money and paying these bills and losing our house and living in the street.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I dream every day about running away to a forest somewhere, setting up a tent and living off of the land until I cease to exist.

On occasion I pack my things into my car and just sit in the driveway and contemplate leaving, but then responsibility kicks in and I unpack my things and go back to existing.

If you are at risk of losing your home there are quite a few governmental assistance programs that can help you, check out www.makinghomeaffordable.gov

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes, I feel like running away often. I watched the show "disappeared" on Investigation Discovery, and ever since I watched that show I have thought about just disappearing. But that show was more about people who disappeared for bad reasons, like getting kidnapped. I live with my parents, and completely hate my job, and all I want to do is quit my job and move out of my parents house, but I have no clue how to get a decent paying job that I wouldn't hate. So I often think about just packing some close and money and driving away in the middle of the night, maybe leave a short note. I don't know where I would go though, I would just keep driving until I started to run out of gas. Maybe I would rent a hotel and try getting a half-decent job, or I would just try living on the streets and be a "drifter".

That doesn't sound good that your husband is at ease without a job and isn't worried about the bills. Does he actually pay the bills or do you? Maybe you should stop paying the electricity or water bill for a few months until they turn it off, and see how he feels then without electricity or water. Is he even trying to find another job? This sounds similar to how my parents are. My mom works and pays all the bills and is constantly stressed out about money, whereas my dad is retired and doesn't worry about money at all, yet he complains when my mom can't afford to buy things. My mom pays all the bills even though they are addressed to my dad. The only bill my dad pays that I know of is the cable bill for his sports channels. It's really depressing to watch, it seems like my dad is a child that depends on my mom to take care of him. What's worse is that my mom has told me that she will never be able to afford to retire.

·
Audacious romantic
4,496 Posts
That's not a good state of things when the woman is the head of the family and everything lies on her shoulders like a burden. Of course, something should be done about it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well he might not care but he should at least care enough about you to help do something. Does he at least look for a job?

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I sometimes have thoughts of running away down the old railroad tracks/snowmobile trail nearby and disappearing into the woods/swamp...just vanishing. With the obvious outcome, since I can't exactly survive in the wild. I can't imagine ever really doing it, though.

That sounds like a lousy situation with your husband, he could care more about practical matters! Your worries sound reasonable to me. You shouldn't be made responsible for the both of you when he refuses to see how unreasonable he's being. :(

·
Registered
210 Posts
I sometimes feel like walking away and just keep walking until something gives. No direction, take nothing with me, just walk aimlessly till I drop.

He might be saying he doesn't care to appear strong, him saying he doesn't care doesn't truly mean he actually doesn't care. I hope that makes sense...

·
Eternal Slack
3,195 Posts
If I had little to no obligations and I could support myself, I would've ran away a long time ago.

Unfortunately I have a major obligation, and I can't stand the thought of dumping that 9 million pound student loan gorilla on my mother (since that's who they'd collect from next if I disappeared).

Other than that I'm not attached to my family, barely have any friends, don't care for the area (including the weather), I'm easily replaceable at my job, and I've also lived on my own before. Running away would be relatively easy for me.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I spent the last couple of years fantasizing about that to the point of looking up flights and cheap hostels in another country. I do have one reason to stay here now, but I still wish I'd done that, even just for a couple of months. God knows I have nothing else to show for my life since leaving school. :sigh

·
electric
6,777 Posts
Sounds like he is already running away from his problems. It sounds like he needs to grow up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts