Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I listen to so much music at the moment- when I wake up, in the afternoon, and about an hour before I go to bed.

I find myself listening to depressing music most of the time, The Smiths as my favourite band :), but I think it provides something for me to relate to and think about.
I'm also completely addicted to last.fm at the moment :D And these forums...

Does anyone else find help in music? What are your favourite songs/bands?

· Registered
6,503 Posts
Sorry I answer threads as I read more of them. Old habits die hard. Some bands you may know that I like are Silver Chair, The Smiths (as mentioned), Muse, Pennywise, Every Move A Picture, Nine Inch Nails, Slint, Billy Idol, Hendrix, Queens of the Stoneage, Franz Ferdinand, Radiohead, Jimmy Eat World, Unwritten Law, The Vines, The Beatles, but this is mostly just the rock I'll consider listening to if I'm bored. I am a part-time rocker by day and a man of metal by night.

These days metal receives most of my attention though as I feel that the frustrations I'm feeling in lifes little struggles tend to cause me to relate easier to it.

· Done with SA
1,821 Posts
I use it to help me cope. It's the main reason I bought an ipod, so I could take my music with me. It really helps me when I'm out. When I'm listening to my music, I'm not so focused on what's around me and my anxiety goes down, at least, 50 percent. If I'm listening to something that makes me feel good, I'll actually talk to people when I'm out, so, for me, music is a great help.

I listen to a lot of music, but my main are the Violent Femmes, Billy Idol, Aerosmith, MCR, Disturbed, Linkin Park, Muse, Lily Allen, Paramore, Evanescence, AFI, Beck, Blondie, Blink 182, and some things I've found from long ago, but can only hear it on the radio because it's so old and I can't find a place to download it.

· Registered
163 Posts
music used to be a huge fortifier of my will to live. unfortunately, I don't really derive much pleasure from it anymore. I honestly thought that this would never happen, that it wasn't even truly possible, but it - and everything else, really - seems to have somehow lost it's value for me.
I can relate to that. For like 5 years music was my only way to really escape, cope, or just let out some of my repressed emotions. Listening to a beautiful album that could sort of discuss or yell out at my mood and emotions was always great for me.

Lately I go through phases with music, as I do still seek pleasure and comfort when I get in the right mood and listen to the right music. But more often than not these days it's just not as pleasurable or satisfying as it used to be.....which can really annoy me.

Guess what my favorite band is? :D

· doesn't care
559 Posts
I listen to so much music at the moment- when I wake up, in the afternoon, and about an hour before I go to bed.

I find myself listening to depressing music most of the time, The Smiths as my favourite band :), but I think it provides something for me to relate to and think about.
I'm also completely addicted to last.fm at the moment :D And these forums...

Does anyone else find help in music? What are your favourite songs/bands?
Oh absolutely. It's about the only thing that keeps me together sometimes, I swear.
And The Smiths/Morrissey, The Cure, and Joy Division are what I listen to most when i'm in these moods.

I've been listening to The Smith's debut album and Queen Is Dead a lot lately.

s/m

· Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
The Smiths as my favourite band :)
Oh my God, me too. Well... kind of, Queen probably just beats them as my #1 :p

I was planning to come in here to mention The Smiths. I suppose being able to relate to the lyrics of The Smiths is probably a sure sign of severe depression ^_^

Morrissey's solo stuff though... is quite possibly even more focused on depression and isolation. I'd say it probably has somewhat better lyrics but somewhat inferior music when compared to The Smiths but it would be hard for me to choose one over the other.

I find both The Smiths/Morrissey and Queen quite uplifting. They almost seem to deal with the same issues a lot of the time but from different angles. Queen in a more optimistic "everything will be fine" way, and The Smiths/Morrissey in a more pessimistic way that nevertheless is uplifting because it makes you feel less alone in whatever situation you're in.

· Registered
179 Posts
music used to be a huge fortifier of my will to live. unfortunately, I don't really derive much pleasure from it anymore. I honestly thought that this would never happen, that it wasn't even truly possible, but it - and everything else, really - seems to have somehow lost it's value for me.
ditto....and a lot of the times i dont even put the radio on because it gets me upset that the music doesn't get my happy anymore :(

· Ex SA Suffer-er lol :)
125 Posts
Yup music pumps me up to keep going with my struggles.. My favorite genre is metal. Some of the bands i listen to are. All that remains,Metallica,Megadeth,Testament,Lamb of god,chevelle,linkin park, jimmy eat world,three days grace,in flames. Im addicted to a song by Metallica that talks specificly about social phobia and anxiety. The song is called The unnamed feeling its a really cool song check out the music video on youtube. I listen to it when im going through a panic attack sometimes haha..:|

· Gimme Sympathy
126 Posts
Music is one of the most important things to me. I can't go more than like 15 minutes without it (which makes long classes unbearable). It really helps me cope with a lot of the depression, but can sometimes make it worse. My favorite bands are Tegan and Sara and Metric, but matchbox twenty has this unique ability to always come back into my life at random times (from when i was like 12 years old) and just completely shake my perceptions of my life (I am currently in one of the matchbox twenty phases)

· Registered
3,508 Posts
Music is the only thing keeping me alive.
Same here. I listen to music pretty much constantly when I'm at home and I never get sick of it. The Smiths are my favourites. I like pretty much anything(except for modern pop). Other favourite artists: Beach Boys,Beatles,Kinks,Radiohead,New Order,Joy Division,The Cure,Bob Dylan,Teenage Fanclub,Pulp,Oasis,Blur,The Clash,Stone Roses,David Bowie,Rolling Stones,Bruce Springsteen,Belle&Sebastian,Elvis Costello,Captain Beefheart,The Fall,The Byrds etc...

· Registered
2,122 Posts
I like rock, either american, english or russian. But at home I listen to death metal, that plays constantly in my headphones. It's because it blocks every other sound, particularly music that my neighbors play, very loud, and when I hear their music, it makes me want to just kill myself. :afr But death metal, for some strange reason calms me down. I even sleep to it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.