Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can understand wanting to acknowdege the day in someway,but a birthday party?? Don't really get that.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Sure, one might acknowledge the birthday of some really famous dead person, but that's it.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Michael Jackson recent birthday bash - that's what I meant. Just think it's very strange!

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
no, I don't think its odd to celebrate a dead's persons birthday.

in the case of Michael Jackson. i wished him a happy birthday and ive played his music through-out some of the day, and if you think i am odd, that's fine with me because it is on you

but,

for if someone in your family which have past, and as for me. I know my grandfather well, and he is dead, and I do tend to celebrate his birthday, in remembrance of him being here and what joys we had when he is still alive.

someone in your heart that matters to someone shouldn't be looked on to others as odd, strange, or whatever. It should be a remembrance of that person.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
The first birthday since the death maybe, but other than that, it's just remembering the date. For my father's birthday, I would go out to eat.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow,Torlin - don't get so testy! If a person wants to do that,I certainly wouldn't object-I just don't understand it that's all-just wondering how others view it.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Thank you,TorLin,for being the voice of reason. :)

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kelly-Just because I don't understand something and am asking for others views on this subject does not make me unreasonable. In fact,it's just the opposite-most rigid thinkers couldn't care less about anyone's opinion but their own. You seem to often be on the attack.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Kelly-Just because I don't understand something and am asking for others views on this subject does not make me unreasonable. In fact,it's just the opposite-most rigid thinkers couldn't care less about anyone's opinion but their own. You seem to often be on the attack.
How is thanking someone an attack?

It would serve us all well to have a little bit more compassion and empathy like TorLin is exhibiting.

Furthermore, you should be aware that when you start a thread with an attack (calling a person's behavior "odd" for example and then proceed to insult that behavior in a post such as "but a birthday party??"), then you really shouldn't be surprised if people are defensive in their responses to you. This seems to be your posting style, so no wonder it happens repeatedly. :stu

Have a nice day,

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well,if his view is deemed the "voice of reason" then it's obviously inferring that my view is unreasonable. One can disagree without being condescending. I wasn't looking for a battle,only other thoughts on the subject.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Well,if his view is deemed the "voice of reason" then it's obviously inferring that my view is unreasonable. One can disagree without being condescending. I wasn't looking for a battle,only other thoughts on the subject.
Your view is unreasonable in my opinion. That's not an attack. It's an opinion. You are bound to come across differing opinions on a board this big. This isn't the first time I've noticed you having a problem with someone who disagrees with you. But on a board such as this, surely you must recognize that it's unavoidable??

And I again refer you to my above point about the initial tone of the post.

Have a nice day,

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not expect everyone to agree with me,however a birthday party for someone no longer having birthdays does seem unusual to me. I only wanted others to explain that aspect. You seem to feel quite superior,as you seem to often take delight in passing judgment on my posts/threads. So good to know you have my welfare at heart and are taking notice of my "problems".

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
***Thread Advisory***
Please do not overreact to statements made in this thread. They should be taken at face value.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,066 Posts
Personally I see nothing strange with honoring someone who has passed on on their birthday, but a party may be a bit excessive I feel. Something like taking part of the day to meditate on their memory or perhaps a toast at dinner for them or even engaging in one of their favorite pastimes on their day seems far more reasonable to me.

In the matter of celebrities a party such as live concert or commemoration gala or something may well be in order depending on what they represent to their community and/or whoever is hosting such an event

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I think it's just a way for people to remember someone. Maybe like a coping mechansim. I do love Jesus's birthday even though that is up for debate when he was actually born.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I've known of people who do it and I've done it myself, mainly with family members.
I don't have a party or anything, for people outside of the family, but I'll sort of honor them in some way if I felt affected by them at all. Like, if it's a movie star, I might have a little mini marathon of their movies. If it was a singer or musical artist, I'll play some of their music. A painter, I'll looks up some of their work and maybe display it on my desktop that day.
I do this for living and dead people, so it's not strange to me in the least.

Also, in the case of MJ, well, he did recently die. I wouldn't find a full out birthday for someone who passed away a short while ago strange.
I had a birthday party for a friend who died just a week and a half shy of their 21st birthday. It seriously wouldn't have felt right, doing nothing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.