Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have crazy TMJ (Teeth clencing and grinding) I am on my 2nd mouth piece I wear to bed because I grind the hell out of my teeth every night and get severe migrains to the point I throw up. I've researched a bit and [/B]it came come from having alot of anxiety. My neck is also very sore from tensing it at night as well. I've been doing it for half my life and it's wearing me down. That alone can get depressing. I have tried acupuncture, physio, massage, and been to the dentist. I am only on clonazepam, no other meds. I am the only one that experiences this? I can't find any posts on it.:|

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have it, I cant stand it. I got a night guard a year ago. It took me so long to get used to it, but I am thankful to have it. Its made it so much better. I dont wake up with a headache anymore.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Interesting...

My dentist told me I was grinding my teeth in my sleep because I have these symmetric holes on two of my bottom teeth (one on each side). He said it was related to stress, and I silently thought: sure buddy, having somewhat severe social anxiety isn't the least bit stressful.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yep. I originally developed intense pain on both sides of my jaw because I clenched my teeth while tense. I stopped that and developed a new habit, every time I wanted to clench my teeth I just shifted my jaw to the left. Wasn't visibly noticeable to anyone and I wasn't clenching my teeth. Great plan right? Until one day I did it and my jaw got stuck...

After a few attempts of opening/closing my jaw it eventually corrected itself but I freaked out, ate a lot of soft foods and started conciously relaxing my jaw. Has helped me a lot.

·
Banned
76 Posts
bruxism

Prolonged, unintentional grinding and clenching of the teeth, usually occurring during sleep. 'Bruxers' are often unaware that they have developed this habit. Symptoms include abraded/chipped teeth (in extreme cases, waking up with tooth chips in the mouth); facial pain; oversensitive teeth; tense facial and jaw muscles; headaches; dislocation of the jaw; damage to the tooth enamel, exposing the inside of the tooth; a popping or clicking in the temporomandibular joint (TMJ); tongue indentations; damage to the inside of the cheek.

Like most other anxiety symptoms, bruxism, is caused by a nutrient deficiency in the case of bruxism the culprits are magnesium as well as vitamin B5 and calcium...

You will be able to locate a supplement that contains all three of these and most likely the entire B complex... however I personally recommend magnesium CITRATE as opposed to magnesium oxide because mag oxide is garbage and won't be absorbed... also calcium carbonate is garbage,,,, its basically chalk so look for calcium citrate.

From previous research a therapeutic dose of mag citrate would be 1500 milligrams that would get your mag levels back up and guarantee about 750 milligrams of absorption as long as you are using the citrate rather than oxide.

As far as the calcium goes you could try drinking more milk or try cabbage/bok choy or soybean curd as well as tofu... if you don't want to make the diet change get calcium citrate remember since you are deficient you need to take 3 or 4 times the daily recommended to get your stores back up... the daily recommended amount is only a maintenance dosage and won't be of much help.

so 1500 mg of mag citrate per day
take 3 or 4 times the recommended dosage of calcium or make the diet change
and take a high dosage of the B complex i recommend B-50's from Now foods because they also contain vitamin C

http://www.diagnose-me.com/glossary/G1188.html
Used by doctors and patients alike, The Analyst™ is an expert system that is unsurpassed in its ability to piece together the clues that your body is giving about its current (and likely future) state of well-being.

·
Amazing
363 Posts
Yup.
Try white wine. Works every time... lol
Uh...I use direct heat and advil. Also, try meditation and purposefully trying to relax your jaw. Yeah, it sucks, and it hurts.
It's very important to RELAX!!! Try sleeping with a "magic bag" on your neck. It will help relax tight muscles.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I do. I could barely open my mouth for four months. I have a night guard but it doesn't fit anymore and I haven't gotten another because I don't have insurance now.

·
Protector of the Den
15,034 Posts
My denist asks me if I grind my teath. I don't notice any grinding, but sometimes I clench my teeth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup.
Try white wine. Works every time... lol
Fool! It's red wine all the way!

Yep, grind my teeth like crazy. Sometimes wake up with bruised gums. At least it's helped me build a jaw that looks like Arnie (It's a pity the rest of me looks like woody allen... but I digress..)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I don't know if I have it. My jaw often feels really tense and aches constantly, and sometimes when I open my mouth I can hear a loud click from my jaw and it feels like it pulls to one size. Like I say, I don't know if this qualifies as TMJ as I have an odd jaw anyway (my lower teeth go over my upper ones - I had a chance to have this fixed on the NHS when I was 15, but I refused to go through with it. A decision I have regretted ever since. Too nervous to have it done now).

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
I think I have had this since I was 15 and lately it feels like my left side starts to get hung if I chew or move my mouth a certain way. But my right side seems to give me more different problems.

·
Banned
160 Posts
I don't know if I have it, either. I was told by my dentist years ago I had this. My jaw used to pop when I'd eat. It pops when I open my mouth wide, too. Sound like TMJ? Oh btw, he said it would get worse when I got older, but I haven't really noticed a difference. :con

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Espearite, yes, your jaw will pop or click. If I yawn my jaw makes a digusting noise and feels like it could lock so I don't yawn or open my mouth all the way. I think it has gotton a little worse as I've gotten older cause the joints are getting worn down. Think of having a bad knee joint getting worse the older you get.:afr

·
Yup.. it's me!
2,458 Posts
Yup.. I sure do... I am not sure if it is the social anxiety or the paxil... all those ssri's have been known to be connected to tmj as a side effect... I never had it before I started taking meds..

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is funny.I guess not all that funny.I have been getting severe headaches everyday for alittle over a week.If they don't go away soon I guess I will go to the doc...Ugh.I woke up this morning still kindof half asleep and noticed I was grinding my teeth.Then I remembered seeing your post.I think thats what is causing my head aches.I guess I've been doing it for a long time.My neck and shoulders are just killing me and they feel so tired and weak.When I wake up my face feels like it got hit by a mac truck.I think I also have sinusitis because they are really uncomfortable too.My throght(forgot how to spell that) even kindof hurts.I get waves of fluishness like symtoms as well.My jaw pops when I chew or move it.Thanks for posting this.I feel I'm alittle further with this mystery.Now I just have to go to the doctor.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I've been told that I have the joint disorder, yes. But aside from my jaw clicking often and one time where I physically couldn't close my mouth, I don't have any other issues from it.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Hey Espearite, yes, your jaw will pop or click. If I yawn my jaw makes a digusting noise and feels like it could lock so I don't yawn or open my mouth all the way. I think it has gotton a little worse as I've gotten older cause the joints are getting worn down. Think of having a bad knee joint getting worse the older you get.:afr
Oh, why do I bother, you will never see what an edited post had before, lol. Have you tried relaxation exercises? If not, you might want to look into this. Okay, last edit. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts