Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't usually talk much, but when I get in situations where I'm uncomfortable or there's a lot of people, I sometimes get this painful sensation in my lower neck area every time I speak, and I sometimes adopt this strange child-like accent that I can't really describe. Does anyone else do this?

·
My head looks huge...
78 Posts
Hmm, that sounds a bit familiar. Personally, I hyperventilate so much when I have to speak, that it makes my neck hurt a little bit.
By childlike accent, do you just mean that you kind of speak in a higher pitched voice? Because that's not unusual when you have some speech anxiety.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My neck kind of stiffens at a weird angle and my voice comes out in this horrible childlike whisper.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yea I can relate..get different pains, more like pressure in my neck (like a big lump sort of lol), sometimes a bit of tension..I tend to talk really quiet then nobody hears me..

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
Sometimes my side starts throbbing if I'm speaking when I don't want to.
Sometimes I get a sinking feeling in my belly, my ribs hurt, and I whisper so that people constantly ask me to repeat myself (which annoys me). I also feel very weak, and even yesterday, I start to shake and space out a lot. At this vacation lodge's dinner last night there must have been 100 people in a pretty cramped area all very loud and boisterous. I was WAAAAY overstimulated and was shaking and twitching a bit.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My breathing becomes shallow, I feel as if I have a ball stuck in my throat and I get an emotional searing pain in my chest area.

·
Gamer
559 Posts
i get the emotional pain in chest area, your chest feels filled up and you totally clam up.. that happens to me even in very common situations

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also get a searing pain in the chest when I feel really anxious or depressed, which often happens when talking to people. It almost feels like a giant hole in my chest, or like someone stabbed me. Really kind of scary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
http://www.lindaland.com/stressbook/page1.htm

don't over think things you'll stress yourself out and cause more heart palpitations (chest pains). think about other things such as your organs tensing up preventing you from breathing or even pressing against one another to cause other problems. reduce your stress anxiety means don't focus on yourself its only healthy when your getting positive results.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Sometimes I get a sinking feeling in my belly, my ribs hurt, and I whisper so that people constantly ask me to repeat myself (which annoys me). I also feel very weak, and even yesterday, I start to shake and space out a lot. At this vacation lodge's dinner last night there must have been 100 people in a pretty cramped area all very loud and boisterous. I was WAAAAY overstimulated and was shaking and twitching a bit.[/QUOTE]

oh wow that must of been awful! When I talk of personal things that are difficult such as difficult times sometimes I also twitch and shake involuntary. My whole body shakes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I get that lower neck thing....and end up being asked to repeat myself, which I too HATE. If it's something I have to anticipate, like a meeting or public speaking then I get an upset stomach.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
I don't usually talk much, but when I get in situations where I'm uncomfortable or there's a lot of people, I sometimes get this painful sensation in my lower neck area every time I speak, and I sometimes adopt this strange child-like accent that I can't really describe. Does anyone else do this?
My father used to talk to us in baby talk a lot when he was being nice. Now I do this with my family and others when I'm nervous. Kinda like an accent. Full sentences but as if a baby were saying it. I used to get yelled a by my grandfather all the time for it. I was afraid of him and I think I felt safer if I used the baby talk, like it wasn't really me talking? Like I'm muffling my voice or mumbling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts