Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The condition has ruined my life and it's been coming to a head lately. I'm faced with the dilemma of having surgery on my sympathetic nerve. This will either cure the condition or ruin my body. Does anyone else have this appalling condition?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hyperhidrosis was one of the many the banes of my life, up until I was 16, when I finally had a sympathectomy. I had tried everything prior to that. Topical solutions, Iontophoresis, and Botulinum injections. The surgeon (bless that man) had a very high success rate, so I was lucky not to have ended-up with any side effects from the surgery.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have it done for your hands? I'm so scared of the side effects. Can't believe I've struggled with the condition for so long.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My hands were the worst. My armpits and feet, too, but compared to the hands, those I could have dealt with. Armpits and feet you can hide, but the hands are another story. It's a nightmare combined with SA, which seriously doesn't help matters.

I was scared about the side effects, too, but I was really at the end of my tether with the sweating.

Have you tried many of the other treatments? They do seem to work for a lot of people.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had iontophoresis since 2006, I've tried different liquids in it such as glycopyrrolate solution. Also tried botox to no effect.

·
SAS Member
1,317 Posts
I had the surgery done a couple years ago.
The only side effect I experience is compensatory sweating(mostly lower back when ever it's hot) but it's not that severe and i'd take that over consistent sweaty palms any day. My feet still sweats but only when i'm actually nervous but it's not as bad as before. Also the surgery apparently slows down your heart rate which could be a good thing for people with SA.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I just have it on my armpits. It's not that severe. I also sweat more than average when doing physical activity even though I am very fit.

I kinda just learned to cope wit h it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the surgery done a couple years ago.
The only side effect I experience is compensatory sweating(mostly lower back when ever it's hot) but it's not that severe and i'd take that over consistent sweaty palms any day. My feet still sweats but only when i'm actually nervous but it's not as bad as before. Also the surgery apparently slows down your heart rate which could be a good thing for people with SA.
Maybe that explains why my heart nearly stopped on the operating table. I never knew it was a particular risk with that specific type of surgery. Bless that anaesthetist. He was quick on his feet.

I have the sweaty feet too, but it's only on occasions, and I'd take sweaty feet over hands/pits any day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts