Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a customer service issue with a store and my mom was going ballistic on this poor guy who really had nothing to do with the problem. I felt so bad for him. I felt his suffering if that makes any sense. He probably has a crappy life as it is. The problem could of been been solved if my mom was nice about it instead of being mean.

This is why I can't work with the public. People just treat you like garbage.

·
We all deserve something.
1,786 Posts
Yea, I do feel bad for workers who get yelled at, when they're not the cause of the problem, and they're just trying to help. It makes me think about customer service numbers, I would hate working there having to pick up the phone and having a potential customer screaming at you, that's one of the reasons I'm always nice to people on the customer service lines, because I've seen and heard how badly they get yelled at and treated like s***. I would hate having to deal with people like that all day, I'll probably crack and just tell them to go ***** themselves, but I guess people get upset easily and they need someone to unleash their anger on, so it always ends up being the person that they're talking to at the time about the problem.

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
Luckily my store manager doesn't care if I get a little rude with ****ty customers. I've learned to be very stern with them when they expect me to wipe their a**es for them.

Today some guy wanted me to take a cement mixer out of the box for him and completely assemble it for him before he buys it. I simply said: "Nope! We don't do that here. I'll tell you what's gonna happen. I'm going to get one out of the back for you and put it will be waiting up front when you're ready to check out. Sound good?"

I find that if I simply don't budge, then they shut up and stop being the retards that they are. I got great satisfaction out of the "Did that seriously just happen?" look on his face. I have a special hatred for customers, so I get pleasure out of that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Generally after even a little bit of time working for retail you learn not to take people that seriously. Since the customer know nothing at all about you. It really is a very procedural, and mostly shallow practice other then managers who really have to deal with the actually serious customer issues. It actually harder having SA and dealing with normal conversations with coworkers and managers. What more can make a job stressful is the coworkers and the boss who have time enough to be seriously judgmental about you or may teach you what it really feels like to be treated like ****.

·
SAS Member
2,118 Posts
Yes, I do. I've been there. Getting yelled at and abused for following rules set by people higher up in the food chain that I have absolutely no authority to change just to suit the whims of whoever I happen to be dealing with. If I ever hear or read about someone who's having a problem with a particular company, the second I hear them say anything about giving an earful to a customer service rep is the same second I lose interest or sympathy in their plight. There's better ways to try and solve your issue than throwing a childish tantrum at someone who hasn't done anything wrong except dare to try to make an honest living in some soul crushing job.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I could never work a job like that; I'd go off on people and get fired.

Employees are only as good as their businesses so when something is mismanaged or problematic, I try not to take it out on the employee who isn't responsible. Especially if the employee is nice; it's hard for me to be mad at them.

·
We all wear a mask.
1,801 Posts
I'm in customer service now and I despise it.

If I can ever get out of customer service jobs in my life, I WILL NEVER EVER be mean to another customer service employee ever again.

I know what they are going through. Hours suck, even when you are full-time you sacrifice a lot of your time and effort for little pay, managers at almost every retail store are snotty and intolerable, customers mostly suck except for the occasional nice ones.

I feel for customer service folks.

·
Registered
867 Posts
i always try to be as nice as possible to customer service people on the phone, as well as not bother workers for help with items at the store. my brother was a customer service representative and i remember him telling me about some of the calls, he can handle this stuff pretty well though.

i know it is the higher ups (hiding) that make there lower employees do the dirty work of dealing with problems of the company for low wages.

·
Maybe?
2,598 Posts
Yeah, I do. I try to say please, thank you, and have a good day to everyone in service jobs when I interact with them.

There's also this, though:

Generally after even a little bit of time working for retail you learn not to take people that seriously. Since the customer know nothing at all about you. It really is a very procedural, and mostly shallow practice other then managers who really have to deal with the actually serious customer issues. It actually harder having SA and dealing with normal conversations with coworkers and managers. What more can make a job stressful is the coworkers and the boss who have time enough to be seriously judgmental about you or may teach you what it really feels like to be treated like ****.
I think eventually a lot of people become a little numb to it. In an ideal world they wouldn't have to, though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah. There's good days and bad days. Some people can be so unbelievably rude that it actually is very hurtful. You somehow expect people to realise that you're trying your best, but they don't. Trouble is, it just takes one bad customer and I can obsess over it for days :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts