Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have this some what intense fear of running into people I went to school with in the past. Let me explain, I attended a private preparatory school instead of a public high school. I think it was dumbluck that I got accepted in on a scholarship. But also I think their charter specifically states that they need to let a certain amount of "commoners" like me in every year.

I could never relate to anyone there since everyone else was from wealthy and well connected families. They were being groomed for success. After graduation I attend a moderately sized private university where there was a better mix of students. And after that I attended a large public university for my graduate program.

Long story short, I am no where near or close to where I should be. I seem to constantly self sabotage my efforts to get anywhere in life. I have ran into people from my past and they are all extremely successful now. Just a quick browse on LinkedIn makes me really depressed. My life is a work in progress and I feel ashamed a lot of times.

·
Banned
2,954 Posts
I simply don't like running into people I went to HS with because I never ever liked them. I honestly feel it's got nothing to do with my SA. My HS was full of pricks really. Since graduation, almost half the girls in my graduating class are now pregnant, have kids, or already married (and they're only 19-20). Sure I shouldn't care about what they do but I just simply don't want to encounter them at all. *shrugs* They may be ahead of me in life in a sense considering I'm in school and not married or pregnant etc, but I learned we should live our own lives the way we want to, rather than making it a competition.

I know what you mean by seeing others being so successful though :\ I'd say use that as a motivation to get yourself out there and do something for yourself. that's something I've been trying to do as well :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
yep, feel the same. I see you are about the same age as me, so it's been awhile since HS. I've only seen a couple (that I recognized) and they were working or had kids...one of them was one that really bullied me and made my HS years rough. left me feeling horrible for a few weeks seeing them... don't want to say successful, but I guess living a normal life.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Yeah I tend not to do that much, plus I'm easily forgettable, though I will recognize them. So it doesn't bother me as much anymore, because I've changed, and they haven't and they never recognize me at all.

·
Be your own hero
761 Posts
I simply don't like running into people I went to HS with because I never ever liked them. I honestly feel it's got nothing to do with my SA. My HS was full of pricks really.
This.
And I'm afraid they would ask me while I'm not in school anymore [I'm doing home schooling now].
When I left I heard there was a rumor that I left cause I got pregnant so that's even more embarrassing.

·
Registered
10,581 Posts
Chances are it would be a low chance of running into anyone I went to highschool with or even college. I moved to a different state 15 years ago. Unless they come here to vacation I have no worry of this happening.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No, these days I tend to revel in my own loserdom and I'd quite enjoy the opportunity to brag about it to someone I haven't seen for years. They're never going to be surprised or impressed by my achievements (unless I lie, of course) but they'd probably be highly surprised by my failures.

·
Banned
30 Posts
No, but i use to have a fear of bumping into classmates in high school. As my High School was a bit far from my house most people didn't live in my area. I tried avoiding some area i would be likely to see them. Now i don't mind seeing them. I have also felt a bit like you before, practise and success makes you feel good. I used to think i'm best at some stuff but now i've accepted i'm progressing in my talents and there are people that are better than me at the thing. But honestly, you don't need to be best at what you like cause look how massive the world is, the amount of people.

:)

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
I have not accomplished much and it's embarrassing to have to explain that to people. I try to steer the conversation away from myself, but sometimes they ask me what I'm up to, anyway.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have not accomplished much and it's embarrassing to have to explain that to people. I try to steer the conversation away from myself, but sometimes they ask me what I'm up to, anyway.
Especially at my age people tend to segway into conversations about jobs or relationships. All I can talk about is sports and recent global events.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I went further than most of my high school friends but I would hate to run into them. I think it is just in the nature of SAD and not with one's preceived lack of success. I hate having this obligation to talk to someone just because we shared some history in the past.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went further than most of my high school friends but I would hate to run into them. I think it is just in the nature of SAD and not with one's preceived lack of success. I hate having this obligation to talk to someone just because we shared some history in the past.
I don't feel obligated to talk to them per se, but at the same time I don't want to due to fear of them realizing what a failure I am.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not even if they come up to you and say hello?
If they approached me yes that's different. I would try to deflect any questions about my personal life like I usually do. But that only works for so long. Especially when they want to meet up later to catch up. That's when you "accidentally" lose their phone number and stop going to the place you ran into them at.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts