Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else hate going to the hair salon as much as I do?!

I have a hair appointment today and i'm dreading it. Hair salons always make me really nervous and anxious. Ugh! I get sick just thinking about it.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Yeah, I don't like getting my haircut either, but sometimes it's a necessary evil that we have to do. If you do a little bit of small talk, then you should make it through alright, and you're hair will look good as well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes, I hate it. The haidressers never do what you say you want, and they're always so busy talking to their friends and forgetting what they're doing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I hate the dentist more...you're stuck in that stupid chair and can't move and the dentist and nurse are all up in your face making stupid small talk that you can't respond to, even if you wanted to...bleh!!

Hope you ended up with cool hair, anyway :)

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
I don't like going, but I get through it. The barber I go to is a good guy. He also does a lot of our group home clients hair. He even will travel to the group homes for the ones that have trouble going anywhere. His brother also is a consumer of ours. So I feel an obligation to get my hair cut by him. I don't know how much longer he will be doing it though due to everything in the mall where is at is closing down, and his carpel tunnel is getting bad. He told me he has kept track of how many cuts he has done since opening up in the early 1980's and it was like 200,000 cuts.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
I hate the dentist more...you're stuck in that stupid chair and can't move and the dentist and nurse are all up in your face making stupid small talk that you can't respond to, even if you wanted to...bleh!!

Hope you ended up with cool hair, anyway :)
I glad my dentist doesn't say much. I don't really like him, but he does a good job cleaning my teeth and is fast. So I don't have to sit there too long.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes!
I go to a classy hair salon because that's where my mom took me and my sister when we were younger - before it became expensive. The women and girls who work there are super polished and are all chatty extroverts. Most of their clients are, too. I'm neither. So I sit in the chair and the woman who cuts my hair tries to get a conversation going. It lasts all of two minutes. Awkward extended silence. Eventually she starts joining in on conversations other stylists are having with their clients.
I try to smile a lot and express gratitude when I can't say much. People seem to respond well to that.

Good luck!

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I always take along a book to read when I go to the salon, which saves me from having to make smalltalk with the hairdresser. I went to the same hairdresser for 12 years, and felt relatively comfortable with him, but now I've moved and have to find another decent salon and a new hairdresser. That's gonna suck :(

·
Prince Procrastinator
237 Posts
Yeah, I hate it. I hate going in and seeing everyone staring at you. I hate trying to explain to the hairdresser what I want. And when I do, it's apparently a bad description and I end up with horrible hair. Sigh.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I love going to the hair salon. The one I go to is in a small town with only one hairdresser. She is very good and fast. I don't even have to talk because usually there is someone else in there running their mouth. But when it is just me and her there is an uncomfortable silence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep. I really hate the "fancy" ones... makes me feel like I am not good enough to be there. I see all these really attractive girls and start feeling like crap. I also hate having to stare at myself in the mirror for so long. Usually after a hair appt. though I feel better about myself for a little while.

·
Worst poster, hands down
303 Posts
I don't hate going to them per se, but I do get anxiety if there's other customers and I have to explain a lot how I want my hair cut. Luckily I now have a regular place where the girls know how I prefer my hair. I always appreciate it if a barber can easily pick up on my very vague requests.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
i recently went and had mine cut. friday morning i think. i still find it really hard, and having the same girl who did it the last 2 times shoulda helped. ish. but i've been kinda going backwards. so i was shaking all the way to the hairdressers and even in the chair. BUT it did get done, and i do look and feel better now. and that is what matters. that is what got me through it. concentrating on the positive outcome for what will happen after defo makes it easier. i just feel sorry for the females who probably have to sit there even longer (i've heard how long some of you spend in there!!! lol)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes i have to sometimes be there for hours cause they have to fit me in with other clients, :example my appointment at 3:00pm i get there at that time,i will have to wait for my turn 30 mintues later sometimes longer depending on how many people is ahead of me....and sometimes i could be there on time and get service right away,i love when that happens...but at times i don't like when u tell them u want a certain hairstyle,you show them the picture...they either do your hair totally different from what you showed them or, try to convince me to get another style.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I don't like it, but I can usually manage some sort of uncomfortable small talk. I always go to the same hairdresser, and she gets that I'm quiet.

What I can't seem to do is phone for an appointment, which is why I haven't had a hair cut in like a year. Same with the dentist.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agreed, it's phoning for an appointment which is the ****tiest bit.

I've got a hair appointment in 2 days time. I plan to find a picture of what I want and give it to her, and it's a really good, well known (unfortunately expensive :p) place so hopefully they'll make it look snazzy. There's always the fear that you won't like your new haircut, though.
I also can never shake the feeling that they judge you - that they judge the ****ty hair they have to work with, that they judge your inability to describe accurately what you want, that they judge you for not really having much to say ... :b and I guess in reality they have to cut the hair of 10, 20, 30 people a day and just look at you as a head of hair to sculpt into something that looks good and don't really give a **** what you're thinking heh

I'll try keep that in mind this Wednesday. :yes
And also that I'll feel a lot better about myself once I get this shaggy mop shaped into something a little easier on the eyes, of course!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I havent been since I was a kid..resulting in MANY MAnY bad haircuts haha. I am hoping to go soon..I went with my boyfriend when he got his hair cut and the lady was really nice, sort of reminded me of my mum so I think I'll go back there and if she's working I might get the chop! ^_^

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, I dread getting my haircut too. It's ridiculous really. I worry about what people think of me when I'm walking to the chair looking like some wet dog. Then I can never tell the hairdresser what I really want because she's intimidating just standing there staring at me until I say something.

Last time I went, the girl was the same age as me with really intense hair (bright pinks, and such). She really butchered my hair because I let her have artistic license. One time I definitely learned to SPEAK UP!! :yes

1 - 20 of 54 Posts