Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the hardest thing about social anxiety for me - the swings of confidence.

Basically what happens is I'll commit to something one day and totally regret it the next. When I'm on a confidence high I literally feel invincible, so I do anything and everything there is to do. I offer to do something that I feel like is an easy task and the next day, or two days, or however long it takes for the anxiety kicks in, i completely kick myself for it. And during the highs, social situations are absolutely no problem whatsoever.

Anyone else go through anything like this? I feel like i'm losing my mind some days...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think I can relate. I certainly experience mood swings in general. Some days I feel as if I can handle things and that the real me is shining through. Things will get better. I can handle this. The next day I am terrified and ashamed as I crawl back into my shell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh My God I know exactly what you mean!

This is going to be a long post just so you know.

Anyway, I recently applied for a job! I was so proud of myself, I went in for an interview and got the position I wanted (this is my very first job so I was already nervous) and I was able to work through my panic attacks for the most part. I had been doing a really good job at work and my family was really proud of me.

Then yesterday I felt sick on the way over to my job and totally freaked out, full blown panic attack. I was crying in the car and my mom was yelling at me until she eventually threw me out of the car and I had to walk into work while I was in the middle of dealing with my panic attack.

I was able to work for an hour, the whole time still going through my panic attack, until I couldn't do it any more. I ran into the bathroom, got sick, then left. It was horrible. Now I have to go back to work tomorrow for another shift and I am so scared the same thing is going to happen.

I wish I never applied for the job. I would rather just be sitting at home than have to go through all this stress and anxiety...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes, the same as has been described here... however, I have recently been diagnosed bipolar, so I am not sure if it is that or part of the SA.

Either way, I have noticed that my SA does seem to 'improve' periodically. And then all of the sudden I can't do anything again. That follows my mood patterns though, so it's not surprising that when my mood is 'good' (ie; hypomanic) I don't have the same social fears as during my (much more common) low or even just flat periods.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
Yes, this has happened to me a lot also. It really made me back off from making commitments, because I dread getting into situations like that, where for whatever reason I feel like crawling under a rock and dying, but have something I committed to doing. Ugh.

I still haven't figured out a solution, but sticking with exercise seemed to help even out my mood swings a good bit, so I'm trying to get back into it for that reason.

·
Registered
609 Posts
im like this as well...i will be feeling good for whatever reason(most likely due to exercise) and i will commit to something or i will even get something going to which a day or so later i completely regret...it is really crushing to be like this...i would almost attribute this more to bipolar disorder than social anxiety...would anyone else agree??

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I honestly think it's a combination of the two. I don't care if I haven't been officially diagnosed, because frankly, I am not the same person one day to the next. Today, you hate me, and I don't care. Tomorrow, it's what did I do wrong, and analyzing every aspect of our interaction.

It's so hard to find people to identify with. Seems like it's a low likelihood, but maybe we have something a little bit more rare and that has been officially pronounced a disorder.

·
Registered
609 Posts
^^im that way too...its like one day i could give a **** less about my job, dont care what my boss thinks or does, and then the next day i will the exact opposite...everyone has always said they cannot figure me out for nothing....to be honest i cant even figure myself out..these mood swings really make it hard to settle down in life and enjoy it(relationships, jobs, hobbies) etc etc.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
about a month or so ago, i felt so fantastic and confident in myself i commited myself to buying loads of faulty psp's off ebay to repair, and sell on for profit. all was goin well during the initial 2 weeks and the thought of spending so much of my low wage never bothered me because i was going to be "making a fair bit of profit and recoup my losses". then i just lost it all and gave up and feel like a failure!! i'm still struggling finacially from what i did, and still have all of the stuff i purchased (some faulty, some repaired psps, soldering equipment, smd's (smaller versions of led's) for customising, and 2 psp camera's (one of which is in pieces because i was going to build it INTO the psp).
it's probably just going to sit there in my parents living room till the next bout of confidence and creativity i get. heaven knows when that will be!!
could go into some other examples, but i wont clog the thread up :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts